Sunday, April 22, 2012

Why Jesus

Do you ever have people in your life who want you to add your voice to their cause? A couple of weeks ago, a woman I know of was complaining how the ‘the church’ often asks for money. Within 4 days, she was trying to get me to come out to her own personal fund raiser. And she thinks I’m a hypocrite.

I am surrounded by many noble people who tout many worthy causes, and I often wonder if they think I’m cold when I don’t jump on their wagon. Although He isn’t a cause per se, I’ve chosen Christ.

1 Corinthians 15:54-56
New International Version (NIV)
54 When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: “Death has been swallowed up in victory.”


You see, I’m one of THOSE Christians. I’m among the few who believe that Jesus has beaten death itself, and if we want, through Him, we have access to the same victory.

It’s not that this life isn’t important. If you follow the life of Jesus through the Gospels, you’ll find that he cared very much for the earthly needs of those around Him. So I give money on occasion to things like MS and heart and stroke research.

However, I believe in a God who has the solution for death itself. I feel pretty good when I help out with jump rope for heart. I’d feel awesome if my contribution helped to save a life, but that’s kind of the crux of the matter. In worldly terms, there really is no such thing as saving a person’s life. At best, medically speaking, it’s a temporary postponement of the inevitable.

The world really isn’t embracing the message that I carry, but if by being faithful, I can be a part of the salvation of but one person, literally and for all eternity, I think that’s big. If on the off chance I’ve been wrong, I’ve probably still contributed more to charity and medical research than most people.

For me, the day is coming when I'll shed this body of death, and put on an imperishable body. If there is a chance that I can be instrumental in helping others into making that leap of faith, I'm going to pursue it. People will go under the knife having a fifty percent chance of living, if only to gain another 10 years or so. If there is the slightest chance that Jesus has really defeated death, once, for all time and it's offered freely to us, why such resistance in this world? We're not talking about another ten, 15 or even 100 years. Were talking about forever here.


As in most things, I’m prepared to be wrong in this matter. Are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment