Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Setting The World On Fire (What's Burning?)


I’ve come to accept how in the eyes of the world, people like me just don’t get it.  I guess I don’t.  (Get it that is)  I don’t get what’s so wrong with God’s kind of justice.  I’m not talking about killing people for moral crimes.  I think Jesus settled that one.  What would be so wrong about a world where the criminals actually pay for the damages of their actions?

“If a man steals an ox or a sheep and slaughters it or sells it, he must pay back five head of cattle for the ox and four sheep for the sheep. . . . A thief must certainly make restitution, but if he has nothing, he must be sold to pay for his theft. If the stolen animal is found alive in his possession—whether ox or donkey or sheep—he must pay back double. If a man grazes his livestock in a field or vineyard and lets them stray and they graze in another man's field, he must make restitution from the best of his own field or vineyard. If a fire breaks out and spreads into thornbushes so that it burns shocks of grain or standing grain or the whole field, the one who started the fire must make restitution. . . If a man borrows an animal from his neighbor and it is injured or dies . . . he must make restitution” (Exodus 22:1, 3-6, 14).

   I believe that restitution goes far beyond thievery.  This past summer, our local Walmart was set on fire by three young men.  Who ended up paying for lost wages, product and repairs to the facility?  When a mob starts burning up the neighbourhood in either London England or London Canada, who ends up paying for the damages? 

  What was so horrible about a God who expected the culprit to pay?  Can someone explain it to me?  From my end, it seems that the wrong people end up paying the tab.  What’s worse, when someone torches a home or a storefront as part of a mob, they carry some kind of crude cult hero status for ‘fighting the power’.  

  Answer me this:  When our culture celebrates setting the world on fire, what exactly are they advocating?  Whose things are they burning; their own, or someone else’s?

 

  What do you think is being said in this video?

2 comments:

  1. I wish I hadn't read this. I did something earlier this year and haven't been able to bring myself to go back and make restitution. I've been too afraid. And I know I will regret writing this. Most people didn't notice the evidence, and I only told a couple people, so I felt I could get away with it. But I've noticed a tendency to not want to take responsibility or pay the consequences for my actions in other areas as well. I can try to tell myself it's okay, but somehow it keeps coming back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for being bold enough to share. It'll be our little secret. ;-)

    ReplyDelete