Sunday, September 16, 2012

I Know What's Wrong With You


For some reason, it’s much easier to be able to recognize the inconsistencies in the lives of others, and it is that fact which causes me to hesitate to write.   No doubt, this will turn out to be another one of my own inconsistencies.  I’m about to write a post which criticizes people for criticizing.   Now that is pure irony.

  About a month ago, a friend of mine was talking about a song that he objected to.  The song in question was, “What Faith Can Do”, by Kutless. 
  He took issue with the song, saying that, it isn’t about what faith can do.  It should be about what God can do.  He’s right.  Isn’t he?  Our healing, our deliverance, our right standing with God is all from God.  Saying that “YOUR” faith accomplishes anything, kind of goes against the very Gospel itself.  In all honesty, I couldn’t argue the theology of what he was saying.

  So I’m reading through Luke 8 to my kids a few nights ago, about the woman with the bleeding.  She reaches out to touch Him without being seen.  When He finds out who touched Him, He declares to her, “your faith has made you well.” Luke 8:48

   Jesus made the same kind of statement that my friend was speaking against.  The same objection to Kutless’ song would apply to the words of Christ Himself. 

  As believers, we need to be discerning as to what we take in.  There is also a place to call people out.  It’s not uncommon however for us to over scrutinize the life, work and speech of others.  I’m sure this isn’t typical for my friend, but there is a kind of Christianity which seems to exist solely for the purpose of pointing out the shortcomings of others.   We can spot heresy and false doctrine a mile away, as long as it resides in someone else.  Slander becomes acceptable, because we’re doing it for the good of the church.

  I won’t tell you who my friend is, because I think very highly of him, and if you ever meet him, I hope that you would do the same.  If you feel compelled to expose someone, please let it be for something similar to what we see addressed in scripture.  Think of blatant sexual immorality, drunken at communion or Christians suing other Christians.   You know...biblical stuff.

  Maybe the preacher, the teacher or the singer missed the context of the passage.  Do you judge your own words quite so closely as you do his or hers?  I doubt that you do.  (I don’t either.)

1 comment:

  1. I personally like this song, as well as a few other recent ones by Kutless (Carry Me to the Cross, Even If). Yes, God is the One that does the works, but if it wasn't for faith, most things God does wouldn't happen.

    ReplyDelete