Thursday, December 27, 2012

No Self Control

            I found this article to be interesting.  Well.  I guess I don’t find the article all that peculiar.  It’s the general response that I don’t understand.  Most of the responses I have been reading seem to be upset that she was let go because her boss found her irresistible.
It doesn’t make sense to me.  I mean, that is precisely what our world teaches over and over.  My daughter is in her first year of high school and she is being taught the very same things I was taught over 20 years ago.  Whenever anyone brought up the concept of celibacy outside of marriage, the predominant teaching was that you can’t expect people to control themselves.
                It is taught year after year, generation after generation, and from class to class.  We are animals with no self control.  Whatever your inclinations are, either men or monkeys, there is nothing you can do about it.  History and science generally teach the same.  We’re just creatures of instinct.   (Personally, I don't know why we aren't offended by the message.)
So why is it, that a man without self control would offend our culture?  Not only that.  Why are we appalled at rape?  If we can’t control ourselves, then we can’t control ourselves.
                One of the comments I read said something like this – ‘I thought we were past this sort of thing.’   That’s precisely the point.  This is the very direction we are headed in.  We tell each other that we are animals.  We teach our students that we can’t expect them to control themselves.  We glorify the orgasm in song and in film, and somehow we have the gall to be offended when somebody can’t control himself.
Of course…the news writers spend very little time taking note of the fact that her boss asked her to dress down.  I don’t know about you, but in my workplace, the people who sign my paycheck generally expect me to do as they say.  In fact, I even have to wear the clothes they tell me to.  

Did the dentist do right?  In my opinion, that depends on whether he is a monkey or a child of God.  If he is a monkey, he did well.

2 comments:

  1. As mentioned, I had mixed feelings about this story when I first read about it last week. I will also make mention that reporters probably definitely slanted this to put the man in a bad light. Not only that, but there also seems to be an underlying implication that Christian men are no better in the area of purity than non-Christians, and that they have to resort to firing people because they can't handle their temptations.

    Having said that, I don't think the response of either was right. I believe the woman should have respected the man when he asked her to dress differently. I think it was okay overall for him to address the issue. But some of the things he said were far from appropriate. I don't blame the man's wife for being jealous after reading their texts. Yes they also sought counsel from their pastor, but is firing the employee really the best solution? I'm not sure.

    I know one thing this article did do is make me think harder about some of the things in my closet, the way I dress, and how it affects the men around me. Although I know men are very visual, part of me wants to hope not all men are tempted to that extreme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of the things I said in that comment didn't make sense, but I can't edit it. Please excuse them.

    ReplyDelete