Sunday, March 15, 2015

Sparse Non-Christian Documentation on the Life of Christ



Dear Anonymous

         I have thought much of you these past 24 hours and whether or not to make an attempt to help you understand why 1st century historians spent little time following the life of a Judean carpenter.   Then it occurred to me.  You might be someone that I know and love, but chose to remain anonymous, so as to maintain a comfortable relationship with me.  I'm also taking the time for you on the slim chance that you really do want to understand how the world works, although I have my doubts.  Please prove me wrong.  Lastly, the God I serve, the one you believe does not exist, exhorts me to love all men.  In short, I was wrong to have judged you.  Please forgive me the indiscretion.  So whether I know you or not, I'll help you in any way I can.

  In a sentence, here it is;
  
The kinds of things that Jesus did, are not the kinds of things the world takes note of.

I will give you a real example from our time to help illustrate this phenomenon.  

About two years ago, a man from our town went on a trip to Israel.  He was a cripple.  I forget how he got that way.  What I do know for certain, is that he had been disabled for some time and it was well documented.  A local charitable organization had actually made a short film about his impairment, highlighting the difficulties he faced in life.

    While in Israel, he was bathing in the Pool of Siloam.  During this, a Christian prayed for his healing.  Believe it or not, this man was healed.  It is the exact same kind of thing we read about Jesus doing in our scriptures.

Upon returning home, outside of our church nobody seemed to care.  I didn't see anything in the newspaper, nothing on local radio or on national television.  It is absurd to think that the world would have operated according to different principles during the first century than it does now.  So I'm not sure why you would expect to see anything written about Christ, that didn't come from those who believed in Him.

So you have made a very valid observation.  We live in a world that does its best to suppress the truth of Christ.  That is your problem.  Not mine. What I don't understand is why?  Why aren't the works of Christ noteworthy?

If you want to further investigate this issue, I encourage you to take a close look at the kinds of things historians generally took note of.  What you will find it is that they generally took little interest on the activities of tradespersons in occupied states.  Someone like Jesus wouldn't even deserve a cursory glance.  

  I have helped you a great deal.  You may thank me later. 


No comments:

Post a Comment