Monday, July 25, 2011

Another Blog about Amy Winehouse

  This past week, the entertainment world has lost another one of her own. We’re seldom surprised to hear news like this. Even though these kind of events have little shock value, death never fails to prompt us to ask the questions, “How could this happen? Why wasn’t something done about this?”


  After looking closer at this particular story, it appears that there were people in her life who tried to address the imminent self destruction.

  The conventional wisdom of our day goes something like this;

  “When it’s apparent that the person can’t go a day without ‘the drug’, be it alcohol, powder or a pill, that’s when it’s time for intervention”.

  I don’t know how it happens, but often, people who think like me tend to come across as being judgmental and mean for saying that a person should never walk down that road to begin with. If I were to go hardcore against drug and alcohol use, you’d write me off as being a cold hearted republican wouldn’t you?

  I believe that every person has the God given right to self destruct. I also believe that they have the right to ruin the lives of those who love them in the process.

  The world around us doesn’t even pretend to care until an individual is caught in the throes of addiction. How is it that I’m the mean one for saying that we should never head down that path in the first place? Could someone explain it to me? Personally, I believe that a culture which celebrates sex drugs and rock’n roll is much more hateful.

  None of us live a spotless life, but is it such a bad thing to hold lift up a standard that is pure and above reproach?

  I have a friend who is going through some rough times in his home life. Let’s face it. We all have issues. Since I’m one of those judgmental Christian types, I made the point of telling him, “Bobby. I know it’s tough. I just encourage you to resist the urge to ‘reach for the bottle’. You don’t want any kind of substance, be it a drug, or even food, to become that thing you turn to when life gets tough. If you want I’d be glad to have you over for supper and we could pray over you and your family.”

  My friend never took me up on the offer. Maybe he thought I was trying to control him or something. I understand that in our world, lifting up a standard of holiness seems to have the appearance of a system of control. I just don’t see it that way.

    As far as what should be done once a person has begun to walk down that road, I'm sure you have all the answers.  Rehab works.  Right?

2 comments:

  1. "Forgive them Father, for they know not what they do."

    ReplyDelete
  2. We really don't know what we're doing. And I believe that we seldom even want to know.

    ReplyDelete