Sunday, July 17, 2011

Why it's Called "Alien Love" - Part 1


  I never venture out to be the kind of guy who actively challenges the world around him, but somehow, on occasion, that’s exactly what I end up doing.  I prefer to live my life thinking that I’m ‘normal’.  I eat toast for breakfast.  I drive a Ford Focus to work and I fix cars for a living.  By most standards, I always think myself as living a rather plain life; the highlight being taking my son for a drive through the car wash.

   So when I wrapped up my last manuscript, I expected little in the way of a response.  In my own estimation, I thought it to be the kind of book that has already been written.  I expected to hear, “That’s just like this other book about love that I read last week.”  If met with disappointment, I anticipated hearing, “I’ve heard all of this before.”

  I still think as much.  It isn’t ground breaking in any way.  Last fall, I allowed one of my friends to have a peek at the manuscript.  Without giving away his identity, he is someone who writes a bit himself.  I value his opinion, not because he writes, but because I trust him to be on the level with me. 

  Whenever I speak with him, I really should bring a tape recorder so that I can remember our conversation in detail.  These may not be his exact words, but this is what I took away from our conversation,

“After reading the first chapter, it doesn’t really sound like a book about love.  I don’t even feel compelled to read more.”

  As we spoke further, he commented on how I brought up the practise of homosexuality.  I’m very sorry if it offends you, but I really don’t advocate anal sexual intercourse.  I think it’s dirty.  (quite literally)   He went on to ask me,

“Why would you target a people who are already a target?”

   My gut response was one of offense.  I wasn’t targeting anybody.  In fact, I think I’ve been growing a sincere love for the homosexual community more as I grow in Christ.  Part of what motivates me is the thought that I might be able to help.  I had been unjustly accused for an uncommitted crime of intent.  There was no smear campaign.  I wasn’t calling up my MP to ban gay marriage.  I think proctitis should be enjoyed by everyone who wants it.

  It hurt.  It hurt me to think that I might be hateful.  It also hurt to think that I might be a voice of torment for the very people I hoped to help.  I had believed myself to have written a book which fell well within the accepted boundaries of authentic love.  My friend was telling me that it really didn’t even sound much like love al all.  What was I to do?

3 comments:

  1. You can't end an article here Kevin! At least it says Part 1. Bring on the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That guy sounds like a real jerk. :-)

    I think what he was trying to say was that he really loved the tone of your first book and the tone of this one seemed a lot different... different is not always bad, of course, but different in this case meant "Doesn't sound like the Kevin I know in print and in person."

    At least that's what I IMAGINE he might be saying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Part 2 is coming Margaret. And Michael, the guy is not a jerk. You might even like him. In fact, you have no idea of how much I needed to hear what he had to say, even if I didn't hear what he had to say.

    ReplyDelete