Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Alma Mater

Seeing ourselves through the eyes of someone else can be a wonderful blessing. I recently had the pleasure of meeting up with a friend of mine from public school. His name is Rob. Without him, I’d probably still be listening to the likes of WHAM! . He was the guy who introduced me to the music of Alice Cooper.

He found me on Facebook a few months ago and asked if we could get together. Sadly, I was kind of nervous getting together with him after all these years. I always admired him for the fact that he was so many things that I was not. He was tough, but he wasn’t a bully. He was funny, without being a prankster.

He’s still a pretty cool guy and has gotten really good at playing guitar. He still likes heavy metal. In our short time together he asked
me, “Do you remember when we met?”

It’s the kind of question you really want to have an answer for isn’t it? You don’t want to be on the forgetful end of the relationship. Unfortunately, I couldn’t remember.

“Kev. I remember meeting you while some guys were trying to stuff you in a locker. I liked you from that moment on.”

Funny I would forget a moment like that.

This weekend I’ll be catching up with some of my friends from university. There’s never a bad time to visit with someone who added value to your life. Do you want to bless someone? Remind them of your first memory of them.

It was good to see you again Rob. In the words of Alice Cooper
“I hope….I hope you won’t forget me or nothin’.” Alma Mater, Schools Out
(That song chokes me up. Too bad I can’t find a good version on You Tube)

2 comments:

  1. U of G - agri-food class, wasn't it! You change my life every time we meet Kev. I admire you so much. Thought you should know. I love you and Barb too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agri Food was the beginning for many a wonderful friendship. I often remember our conversation in the A/C. It went something like this....

    "We might not see each other very often, but when we do,it's like we haven't drifted apart."

    Those words were almost prophetic in a way. It's almost as if we knew that we'd have the kind of relationship that we do; the kind that doesn't really have to say good bye.

    God willing, see you Sunday!

    ReplyDelete