Sunday, March 13, 2011

Training for Unrighteousness

Every once in a while, you might find yourself in conversations where you talk about those kinds of parents who ‘shelter their children’. When we talk about vagrant parents like that, do you ever wonder who they are? Do they have names? Or are they merely an elite, ivory tower secret society.

I want to save you the time of trying to figure out this mystery. They’re probably talking about me. Last week, in conversation, my wife made mention of “The Finger”. You know what The Finger is right? If you are looking at the back of your right hand, it’s the second finger from the left. If you count your thumb, it’s the third from the left. If you are looking at the palm of your right hand, it’s the third from the left. It is often referred to as being the middle finger, which is only partially accurate. It really isn’t the middle finger unless you consider the opposable thumb to be a finger. If you are left handed…..Never mind.

Upon hearing mention of “The Finger”, my 12 year old daughter asked, “What is the finger?”

Unfortunately, it is true. There are some things that we have neglected to teach our children. This is one of those things. My wife and I looked at each other and I asked, “Is this the kind of thing that we need to teach her?”

I entertained the thought for a moment. No. I’m really not trying to intentionally shelter the poor girl from those valuable life skills such as flipping the bird. I didn’t take the time to pray about it, which might very well be the source of my error. The conclusion that I came to in those few seconds was this. No. I’m not going to be the one who teaches her that.

“Sorry my daughter. You can learn that somewhere else. I’m sure most of your friends know by now. Ask them.”

Innocence is a horrible thing isn’t it? I maintain the hope that my children will eventually pick up all of these essential life skills. I just pray that they don’t get them from me.

You’re right. The Bible doesn’t make mention of “The Finger.” What about those other valuable life skills? Would you intentionally teach your kids to lie? How can a person get through life successfully if they are honest?

I have a friend of mine who sold his car last year. He sold it to a young woman who was headed off to university in the fall. It was a very inexpensive vehicle, and likewise, he offered no warranty on it. Selling used vehicles is as risky, if not more so, than buying a used vehicle. No matter how thoroughly you go over and inspect a vehicle, there is no way to predict the future reliability of the vehicle you are selling.

About a week after selling the car, the young woman came back to my friend. A noise had developed in the rear brakes. Even though no warranty was given or implied for the vehicle, the young lady and her father expected my friend to repair it for free. After removing the wheels, he noticed that the brakes had been over heated. Here is the conversation that ensued.

My friend – “What happened to the brakes? It wasn’t like that when I inspected it last week.”

The daughter – “Oh. I left on the parking brake and drove around with it for a while. Could that have something to do with it?”

Giving his daughter stern glare, dad abruptly cut into the conversation saying, “She only drove it for a few feet in the parking lot. The brakes were obviously defective.”

It makes me wonder what kind of conversation they had with each other before they left home. “Come with me little girl, and I’ll teach you how to scam the used car dealer.”

I’m sure that my children will pick up enough junk without me being the one to intentionally train them. Unfortunately, enough of it comes from me as it is.

5 comments:

  1. Yeah, this is definitely a sensitive issue. How do you teach your children about bad stuff, or safely expose them to the world? I'm not saying here that your methods are wrong (because although I know how to physically care for children, I know very little about training them), but in a way I think it's better if they learn it from you. I think it would be better if you could explain things to them and understand why it's wrong and how to properly deal with it. Unfortunately, your children will soon be exposed to much more than just the Finger. Teach them how to deal with it so they don't have to suffer unnecessary consequences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not even sure I'm right. What I gather, is that my role is to train up my child in the way she should go. As for training with regards to the ways that she should not go, I'm not all that consistant. There are many other distasteful realities of life that I have chosen to teach her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems like a good idea to me that you would tell them also about the way they should not go. Proverbs gives many contrasting statements about the way of righteousness and the way of Unrighteousness, Psalms too. Psalm 1 for instance. I recall telling our son Christian about "the finger" and explaining that it was a way for mean people to let others know that they are angry with someone and that it really isn't a nice thing to do. He groups "the finger" gesture in with "swear words" and thankfully, he is a sensitive little guy who doesn't want to go there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. posted at 9:15 AM - time zone must be off in your settings?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok. I taught her the finger last night.

    ReplyDelete