Tuesday, March 8, 2011

NOT Born This Way

Every once in a while, Lady Gaga makes me think about my own life. I suppose, as a Christian blogger, I should spend most of my time bashing her. Truth is, I do admire her flare for the theatric. I hope that it stems from her own creativity and isn’t something inspired by drug use. That would be completely lame.

Her latest album is called, “Born This Way”. I don’t know about you, but when I survey my life’s course, I wasn’t born this way.

2 Corinthians 5:17 (English Standard Version)
17Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.

Over the past few months, I have had the privilege of connecting with several people from my public school days. I often feel like I owe many of my longstanding friends a bit of an apology. I mean, when they chose to invest themselves into my life, it’s not like they signed up for the person that I am now.

I’m not the same person that I used to be. If you have known me for over 15 years, whether you see it as an improvement or not, the difference is Jesus. My friends from University have been among the most gracious in accepting me for who I was without Christ, as well as who I am in Him.

Unfortunately, the phrase ‘born again’ seems to carry with it a lot of negative baggage. Having lived on both sides of the fence, there are worse things than being forgiven. I like who I am in Christ and don’t want to go back.

Whatever you have been 'born into', I want you to know that it doesn't have to dominate your future.

1 comment:

  1. Many people try to excuse themselves for being "born this way."

    It is the easy way out. How much more difficult it is to say "I chose (or choose) to be this way."

    ReplyDelete