Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Too Alien?

Today has been a strange kind of day. This afternoon, the Purolator truck dropped off a box with some promotional materials for Alien Love. The package included a set of event invitations and laminated promotional posters. The delivery presents a peculiar dilemma for me.

You see, yesterday I contacted my publisher and requested that they cease from printing any further copies of my book. Some of the feedback that I’m getting seems to indicate that people who don’t know me might get the wrong impression from one of my illustrations, and jump to the conclusion that I hate them. I guess some topics are just too hot to be able to have reasonable dialogue. The mere mention of certain issues tends to polarize the conversation and we respond with our gut rather than processing what is actually written on the page before us.

Interpretation is a peculiar art. We often draw conclusions from statements which were never made in the first place. It seems obvious, to myself and others, that the kind of love I’m advocating cannot be understood by people who do not know my heart. It is in that thought, that these words have been shared with me;

So far, I don't think I have really disagreed with anything you said. I just had to understand and knowing you, I can ask about what I don't. But I'm also recognizing how it could be taken the wrong way. I think because I know you, I can hear your voice when reading it, and I care more about what you have to say. I listen more, even when it exposes sin in my life.”

Nobody who knows me can accuse me of having a hateful or malicious heart. However, not everybody knows me. Not everyone can hear my voice as they are reading my words. Unfortunately, I do not have the time to share a coffee or a 3 hour conversation with everyone who needs me to clarify what I’m trying to communicate.

I thank each of you who have been an encouragement and who have given your honest feedback for the book.

I have no idea of where I’ll head from here. I am being urged to consider reworking my illustration, however, I find myself to be quite empty. I have been at this project for over 3 years now and I just don’t know if I can walk another mile. Overall, I feel empty.

I have 6 months to either rework my illustrations or to cancel the work entirely. I humbly ask for your prayers in this process. Other than any copies which have already been released to bookstores or to Amazon, Alien Love will not be available publicly. I do have a few copies of my own which I might sell to any friends and family who are interested.

Perhaps it really is alien after all.

Love Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment