Thursday, November 24, 2011

We Have No Imagination

I’ve been learning a lot these past few days. Perhaps the biggest lesson is this – most people have absolutely no imagination. Alright. That isn’t exactly true. We do have an amazing imagination. It’s just a very selective imagination.

We can imagine that Luke Skywalker was a Jedi Knight in a galaxy far, far away, a long, long time ago. We can easily imagine that Pandora is populated by a lot of blue coloured skinny people. We can imagine that Superman narrowly escaped the destruction of his home planet of krypton, and that he has an ice palace near the north pole. We’re quickly approaching the season where we tell our loved ones that some fat guy in a red suit will bring them presents. Not only can we imagine that, some young people really believe it.

What we cannot imagine, is that our world is under the influence of the devil, and that a whole lot of us might spend eternity apart from God.

That is the very, “What if…” scenario that I have approached many people with in the past few days. Whenever I ask my , “What if…” question, I get these weird looks in response.

If I tried to invent a story of strange creatures, from another time, another planet or another dimension, perhaps the tales I tell might be a little more saleable.

3 comments:

  1. That can be a hard one to imagine. It's something many don't want to think about, myself included. Wow, I have some serious work to do, or rather God has some serious work to do in me.

    What is your "What if..." question?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What if, those who embrace a life of sin end up in a place called hell? Would it be hateful to warn them now in this life?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, it wouldn't. But I suppose that's what everybody has a problem with.

    ReplyDelete