Saturday, December 24, 2011

I'm Very Sorry. (It's Christmas)

It’s not that I advocate Christmas. In fact, Christmas is one of the reasons why I can’t see myself in pastoral ministry. I just can’t bring myself to find some hidden nugget in the Christmas story each year that nobody else has noticed. Once I’ve said that I think Santa is the devil and that the Christmas tree’s roots grow down more into paganism than the Babe in the manger, I’ve really said all I feel I need to say. If a pastor can’t pack the place on Christmas, what good is he? And once you’ve seen my tree and watched us kneel before it on Christmas morn, you’ll write me off as a hypocrite anyhow.

However, I’m noticing more and more, that there’s something special about Christmas. The issues surrounding it have a unique flavour. Many people dislike the holiday because they find themselves alone, or it highlights the breakdown of their relationships. There is a peculiar injustice at work when someone is laid off at Christmas time, or their home burns down. Some people don’t like the Christmas tree in public places because it makes them fell as if they aren’t included.

Please think about those scenarios for a moment. Does anyone ever complain that Halloween decorations make them feel like they’re not included? If someone is laid off before May two-four, do you ever hear, “Wow. How horrible. Laid off. Right before may two four.”?

As pagan and as commercial as it is, there is just enough Jesus in the holiday to offend people of other faiths. The very elements of Christmas that seem to bring pain to many people, are in fact a demonstration of the light given to all people. For those who find themselves alone or estranged from their loved ones, Christmas isn’t the problem. The broken relationships and the loneliness are the problem. The light of Christmas merely illuminates the pain, but that’s what light does.

If you don’t like Christmas, please know that I’m with you. I really am. I’d be glad to celebrate the birth of my Saviour on some other day. I’m really not set on Dec 25th and I don’t even need it to be a stat holiday. Pagans often express bitterness about us claiming the day anyway, so let them have it. Tell next year’s Christmas Planning Committee (CPC) to come up with another day.

Most objections to Christmas stem from the fact that light does in fact reveal darkness for what it is. That is the heart of the Christmas story;

The people living in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of the shadow of death a light has dawned." Matthew 4:16

If we’re alone, if we don’t feel included in the holiday, or if tragedy has affected our lives, it isn’t Christmas’ fault. If this is your first Christmas without a loved one, my heart goes out to you. The fact that these emotions are heightened at this time, lends evidence to the case that there really is something special about Christmas. It’s Jesus.

What do you do with the light of Christmas? Do you hate the light? Or are you drawn to Him?

2 comments:

  1. I've got several foreclosures due on Dec 24th - glad I didn't hold off! :)

    ReplyDelete