Sunday, December 11, 2011

What Does God Think About Vasectomies?

A week ago, I posted this piece of scripture on my Facebook feed: “No one whose testicles are crushed or whose male organ is cut off shall enter the assembly of the Lord” Deuteronomy 23:1

The responses I received were rather predictable. There was the usual comical chatter. Some people felt that it was rather gross; not because they’re mean. They’re quite right. It is gross. Isn’t it? However, if all scripture is God breathed, then it’s useful.

In light of the passage, one of my friends asked a question.

“What about vasectomies?”

Seeing as he asked the question twice, and seeing as he is the only person to tell me that he wants me to love him, I feel compelled to answer honestly.

The verse doesn’t say ‘vasectomy’. Does it? So it would be tough for me to go hardcore against family planning. Still, the Bible doesn’t directly mention child molestation, gang violence or many things that are understood to be contrary to God’s will for mankind. So just because it doesn’t say “vasectomy”, doesn’t mean God’s good with it.

It’s not like we are meant to use the Bible as a book of rules, but for a person who sincerely desires to live a life which is pleasing in the sight of our savior, it does give us enough insight into the mind of our God.

Without doing a historical study, I somehow doubt that vasectomies were a common method of family planning back in the day. So I really wouldn’t expect it to be spelled out in the Levitical texts. However, birth control wasn’t a foreign concept to God’s people. I’ll speak on that shortly. What I’ll say for now, is that little is said with regards to birth control in any part of the law. Throughout history, God has been quite vocal and forthcoming to His people with the things that revile him. Take the time to read through Isaiah and Jeremiah. Seeing as very little is said, I wouldn’t toss and turn throughout the night if you have had your cords cut.

As I mentioned, birth control isn’t something new. I urge you to consider this story.

Genesis 38:8-10
New Living Translation (NLT)
8 Then Judah said to Er’s brother Onan, “Go and marry Tamar, as our law requires of the brother of a man who has died. You must produce an heir for your brother.”
9 But Onan was not willing to have a child who would not be his own heir. So whenever he had intercourse with his brother’s wife, he spilled the semen on the ground. This prevented her from having a child who would belong to his brother. 10 But the LORD considered it evil for Onan to deny a child to his dead brother. So the LORD took Onan’s life, too.

It’s a story which leads many people to believe that birth control is against God’s will.

To answer the question, “What does God think of vasectomies?” directly, here is what I’ll share….

I don’t know.

As people, we tend to fall in either one of two camps with regards to issues such as these. There is normally the, THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH IT (NWWI) camp. And there is usually the IT’S A SIN (IAS) camp.

“I don’t know. Ask God.” (IDKAK) isn’t a comfortable answer. Is it? Both the NWWI and IAS camps offer a kind of human comfort that faith does not. The NWWI camp helps us to feel good about ourselves, even if something is wrong with it. When we throw in our lot with the IAS camp, we feel assured because we have taken what appears to be the moral high ground.

So how does, “I DON’T KNOW. ASK GOD.” Make you feel?

My personal take on the story of Onan goes something like this. I’ll begin by reminding you of a common truth. I’m not your God. Please keep that in the forefront of your mind as you listen to my take.

God killed the guy. That’s normally pretty serious. The account of Onan’s life seems to have less to do with communicating God’s mind on birth control, than it has to do with a man’s obligation to his brother. Was there any law about birth control? Not that I’m aware of. The law required Onan to “produce an heir for his brother.”

Take it up with God. He’s not dead. Personally, if birth control was such a big deal to Him, I think we’d see at least another specific reference or two somewhere else is scripture.

Remaining intentionally fertile often allows us to live with the mindset thinking, “I’ll let God decide how many kids I have.” Here’s my personal story.

My Story

My fourth child came rather quickly. I was playing the Farming Game with three friends from the youth group when Barb told me that we needed to leave. I was so close to winning the game, and only needed a few more minutes, but she really didn’t have the time.

By the time we made it to the hospital, my wife was too far along for the medical staff to administer any real pain relief. Her labour was quite painful. I know that very few women die anymore in childbirth, but it does still happen. There were moments where I wondered if she would have enough energy to press through.

Before delivering our fourth child, she squeezed my hand and told me, “I can’t do this again.” In that moment, it became clear to me, that I was unable to see her endure this pain for another child. I had my chords cut shortly thereafter.

I’ve never had a clear sense from the Lord one way or the other. I do know, that if anything were to happen to my wife, that I don’t think I could live with myself. I’m still willing to receive children from God if that is His will for us. It does happen on occasion.

I love my kids. In fact, I'd love nothing more than to have 20 kids and I'd buy a bus so we could all travel together. I could even have my own TV show. I didn’t undergo the procedure in an act of defiance. I did it because I loved my wife and really couldn’t bear to see her go through that again.

I do have more to say, but can’t really share it publicly. There are some aspects of my decision that really do lend themselves to purity and holiness. Yet, there is a place for discretion.



8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're very welcome. Thank you for sharing you heart via the world wide web. :-) Nothing like privacy for these intimate matters of the heart.

    I'll be thinking and praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prayers much appreciated, although I think we've since reached a decision that is acceptable to us and to God (sigh of relief). If you would be kind enough to remove my comments, I would be grateful, as I think maybe my comments were too personal to have put out to the whole world! Many thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this. It helps to know there's another camp. I thought I had to choose. We are over 2 years post-V and I just have no idea if it was right or wrong. It's a complicated story from then to now, but I do appreciate this post. It has helped.

    ReplyDelete
  5. God's arse. As long as you don't murder, Rob or steal, then you can do whatever you want in life.

    ReplyDelete