Monday, July 2, 2012

Does God Have a Sense of Humour?

  It’s a conversation I find myself involved in time and time again, the question being this: “Does God have a sense of humour?”
  Now, I know this will challenge many of you.  You might not even want to be my friend anymore.  Yet, I have promised to love those of you who listen, and part of loving you means that I commit to being honest with you.
  I’m not going to go through every mention of laughter as found in scripture.  Such a venture would require more than a blog post could capture.  I do however wish to address the single most recurring argument that is given to me.
“We are made in God’s image.  We have a sense of humour.  Therefore, God must have a sense of humour.”
  I hear this repeatedly, even among my closest and most conservatively minded friends.  Most of the time, I smile at the argument.  Sometimes I address it. 
  I beg of you to look at this with an open mind.  Please think about what the argument is saying.
We are this way.  Since we are made in God’s image, then God must be that way as well.
  Does that really work for you?  If it does, then this will also work for you….
“Most people lie.  We’re made in God’s image.  Therefore, God must be a liar too.”
   I couldn’t care less whether or not you think God has a sense of humour.  We often find Him laughing in Scripture; although, the things He laughs at rarely seem to be over a good joke.  What I take issue with, is how we project our character upon a Holy God.  I expect it from the people of the world.  I expect the people of the world to think that God The Father must be a tyrant, because they may have grown up with a tyrant father of their own.  I expect earthlings to believe that God must be immoral, because many who claim to be His, are found to live immoral lives.
  I expect more from you.
  We were made in His image, not His character.

No comments:

Post a Comment