Saturday, July 14, 2012

Don't Read That! It Could Melt Your Mind.


  I woke up this morning to read an article written by a pastor warning his congregation about a new book that has come out.  I have a few friends who like to post warnings about the different works available in this world we live in.  I often wonder if I should spend more time telling people what they should and should not read.

  As I was reading through 1Kings Chapter 2 this evening, it just spoke so much to me about leadership and what I need to do with the responsibility entrusted to me, and I realized that there is absolutely no book that speaks to my heart the way that scripture does.

  Maybe that’s because I’m better than most of you.  I’ve got this special link with God and I can just listen to His Word without an interpreter, ‘cause I’ve got the inside track.  I’m laying on the sarcasm intentionally thick, hoping that you catch it.

   I won’t go into detail about what God was speaking to me in the pages of 1Kings, other than to say, I want to have no part of any guilt you may incur while I do what I can to minister to you.  I’m not going to tell you which books to read or which books to stay away from.  I’m not here to blast the latest ‘Christian’ heretic, or the next dirtiest work of the world. 

  To my knowledge, I have never encouraged any of you to read anything other than the Bible.  If I have done so, please forgive me the indiscretion.  Okay.  I did lend someone The Case for Christ that one time, but it was in a moment of weakness.   I believe I can honestly say that I don’t even encourage people to read my own writings.

   I’m not being a hardliner sola scripture guy here, but what I will say is this:  Other than scripture, whatever you are reading, please do so knowing that I have not been the one to encourage you.  Whether you like to read the kinds of erotic, sorcerer, vampire stuff that the world cranks out, or even books on Christian theology, you didn’t get the idea from me.  That should be fair.

  I say this for a couple of reasons.  Firstly, I can’t begin to try and warn you of every false teacher or every perverse thing that hits the shelves or the internet.  I just don’t have the time.  Secondly, I believe that there is a tendency for us to gather unto ourselves teachers that tell us the kind of things that we like to hear, even in conservative circles.  (Perhaps especially so)

   I’m not condemning you if you are the sort who likes to read.  I know that there is value in it.  I really do.  Some of you read a lot and are much stronger believers than I am because of it.  I just don’t have the time or heart to be a part of that world.

  As for my own writings, I have conflicted opinions.   I often wonder why God has me write; because I know firsthand that I’m so imperfect.  I know that there have been times where I have given people questionable advice, and I wish I could take it back, but I don’t know how.

   Read what you truly think is right.  I know you will anyway and I won’t think any less of you.  Other than The Bible, you did not however, do so from my prompting.

 



PS  I’ve also lent out Eusebius, an account of the church’s early history.  So much for my stand.

PPS  OH!   And to that pastor/friend/musician guy who meets with me on occasion and gives me books to read because he loves me and wants to see me grow, I’m very thankful and I’m still working through the last one you gave me.  Please don’t stop loving me in that way, unless you get tired of pouring yourself into me.

4 comments:

  1. I'm guessing that book he wrote about was Fifty Shades of Gray. I've read a fair bit about it as well. They wouldn't have to address it if Christians weren't running after it, but unfortunately they are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The smile means that you're right, not that I'm happy that Christians are running after it. If I were to share my thoughts about Christians swallowing that kind of smut, I would have used a frowning face.

    ReplyDelete
  3. no worries. "Real gifts don't demand reciprocation..." - Seth Godin

    Good to see you yesterday. I think we will be there again next Sunday.

    ReplyDelete