Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Bullying: Not Just For Kids Anymore

This past week, I was required by my employer to complete the Ontario Government's mandatory workplace violence and harassment training. Apparently, violence in the workplace is an increasing problem. I’m not sure on whether or not that is true, but hope that our government wouldn’t create a false sense of urgency.
Don’t you find that to be odd? I mean, over and over I am told that we are an evolving society. We are apparently becoming increasingly tolerant of each other as we throw off that old blanket of Christianity. The Christians are the ‘intolerant ones’ right? So, as there are fewer and fewer of them in our schools and workplaces, our fair land should be enjoying a liberating spirit. Should it not?
It isn’t working out that way. Is it? Workplace violence and schoolyard bullying are in fact increasing problems in the cultural fabric of our country. I’m quite confident in saying that there is a direct link between these things and a nation who is continuing to walk away from her Lord Jesus.
I know that as I say these things, there will be some of us in our minds thinking, ‘But what about the crusades?’ Yeah. There was a point in history when we used to burn witches too. I’m not saying that we don’t have our dark spots. Yet, what I’m saying really isn’t too far out there. Think about it.
If a nation abandons a faith that advocates love for all people, especially love for one’s enemies, what would you expect the outcome to be?
If a nation abandons a faith that teaches honesty, can you expect integrity from her leaders?
If a nation abandons a faith that admonishes its people to care for the less fortunate, what are the implications for poverty?
If a nation rejects a faith which tells us to resist evil, can we expect our teachers, principals and parents to address the bullying in and of our children?
I’m not saying that Christians are known for their faithfulness to their God. I teach Sunday school and it would take some convincing for me to believe that our parents take the discipleship of their own children all that seriously. I’m not pointing my finger at anyone in particular. It’s just a general feeling I have. Christians are not reputed to be a people who live as Christ lived or taught. In fact, I believe it was Ghandi, who said something to this effect,
“I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians, because they do not live like Christ.”
Our Book doesn’t teach us to slay non-believers, but there are times in history where we have done exactly just that. If you want to murder those who don’t believe, you’ll have to follow a different god. We are rarely known as a people who actually do what our faith advocates, but what would it look like if we did? Our greatest atrocities are committed when we fail to take Christ at His word and to act on it. Although we are not characterized as being faithful to the teachings of our Lord, for the many who do, there is a preserving work that flows out of their lives into the world around them.

So as our society continues to abandon the faith that tells us to be peacemakers, I hope you aren’t surprised by the violence.

1 comment:

  1. "but I hope that our government wouldn’t create a false sense of urgency." If you actually believe this you have more faith in government than I do!

    The whole concept of "nationhood" confounds me. I'm not sure it's compatible with Christianity. Our nation was established through much bullying and what we've set up now needs to be defended with force.

    I'm not sure this is "living as Christ".

    ReplyDelete