Friday, May 14, 2010

Wondering if Sonny or Sher Will Find This

Dear Sonny and Sher;
For the past several days, you have been coming to mind more and more. So much so, that I’ve been having a difficult time in some of my creative endeavours. I had intended to begin writing my third book, but since you are on my heart, I prefer to spend this time sharing these sentiments with you. I suppose this desire springs from the fact that I love and miss you both immensely, and although we are seperated by time and space, I prefer to think that by writing to you, I might in some way be able to continue to walk with you in your current chapter in life.
As you read this, I hope that you are able to remember my voice, the way that I wouild speak to you and that you would be able to envsion hearing these words as if I were present with you now. Knowing you has been a great privilege and I am so thankful for the life I have had with each of you. I hope you hear a voice that is warm, and compassionate.
Up until this time in your life, most of your years have been spent in training. They likely started in some way with your mom and your dad getting you toys that would challenge you in your spacial learning. You might have graduated to an ABC or a 124 puzzle. Myself, I remember having a Tupperware shape puzzle. It was like a tiny blue and red octagonal globe. Several differnet shapes could be pushed through either hemisphere and when it was full, you could release the spring by pulling on the two yellow handles which had been placed at the poles. Before you even realized that you were learning, you were whisked off to kidnergarten.
Throughout your elementary school years, you learned the basics of life; how to read, write and how to do arithmatic. As you grew, the subject matter may have become more interesting as you took on studies such as history and geography. Chances are, there were likely times when you wondered what all of that was for.
Yet there was more to be learned in life than academia. Wasn’t there? In time, each of you developed a type of spiritual hunger and although your intellectual studies continued into adolescence, you spent many evenings seeking after some of life’s more personal questions;
Why am I here?
Who am I?
What is my purpose in life?
What a wonder it was to know you as you came into adulthood. Whether you knew it or not, whether you know it or not, all of the training in your life has been to build the man and the woman that you are today. Your teachers, your coaches, your intructors and pastors – these have all invested themselves into your lives to prepare you for the life that you are going to live together.
Whether you acknowldge it or not, your parents have been the greatest source of teaching and influence both on to and into your lives. I hope that in this time, you are able to find a way to honour them in the role that they have played.
As you plan your lives together, I encourage you to consider returning the courtesy that was paid to you by those who have poured their lives into yours. On behalf of all of them, I ask that you would do the same; that you would find the way that God wants you to invest your lives into others.
May The Lord bless you and keep you. When He looks at you, I hope He smiles.

Love Kevin

PS - If you think I'm talking about you, message me.

No comments:

Post a Comment