Monday, May 10, 2010

I'm so pathetic.

For those of you who have been walking with the Lord for some time, I'm sure you don't have these issues. You likely don't spend money on holidays, home rennovations or any form of entertainment. The world doesn't tug at your heart anymore and it's just nothing but glory.

This past weekend, Barb and I had some fun with our friends from church. We spent the evening talking and singing to some of the songs that we grew up with. Amid our conversations we had this question, "What does God think of having fun?" Really. Besides the wedding, did Jesus have fun?

Here is what I do know. Ever since I had 'fun' this weekend, I've been preoccupied with having more 'fun'; so much so, that Barb and I placed a bid on a video game system that has two Singstar mics. I have spent most of my morning vexing over whether or not it was the best thing to do.

A friend of mine shared with me this morning how his daughter becomes incredibly sick from time to time. He has taken her to the doctors on several occassions, but they can't figure out what's wrong.

I just feel so dumb. I'm worried about whether or not I should buy a video game system and he's concerned with whether or not his daughter will be able to enjoy a healthy life.

I'm glad I'm the only North American Christian who is like this. I hate to think that there are many other believers who are this pathetic.

1 comment:

  1. Don't worry Kevin, you're not the only person who deals with things like this. It's so easy to get caught up in the unimportant things in life and lose sight of what really matters, but we should certainly strive for what really matters.

    I personally think there's nothing wrong with having fun. I believe it's good for believers to enjoy spending time together and we can enjoy many activities and games, whether it's volleyball, board games, or whatever.

    At the same time, you want to make sure that your activities are wholesome and bring people together. You should also be careful that a certain activity doesn't consume or have an unhealthy hold in your life. Everything has it's place and if it's something that takes up an incredible amount of your time and money and distracts you from serving the Lord, it may very well need to be re-evaluated.

    That's my take on the matter.

    ReplyDelete