Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Feeling Our Way Through Life

John 12:27-50

So Jesus said to them, “The light is among you for a little while longer. Walk while you have the light, lest darkness overtake you. The one who walks in darkness does not know where he is going. While you have the light, believe in the light, that you may become sons of light.” John 12:35-36

Without giving you too much detail, sometimes in the middle of the night I have to go to the bathroom. I know I’m not alone in that. When I do, I often wrestle with deciding whether or not to turn on the light. I normally decide against it. I prefer to believe that I can find my way around the house after living in it for the past 20 years. I should know how many steps I need to take to the living area, how far to head right towards the hall and how long before I reach the door. I usually do succeed. There are others times that I hurt myself, either stubbing my toe or stepping on something hard.

Jesus claims that He is the light. He tells us to walk in His light so that the darkness would not overtake us. What does that sound like it means to you? The people I think could most relate to what it feels like to live in darkness might be those who struggle with anxiety, depression or mental illness. At least, those have been what I would call the darkest times in my life. So is that it? Come to Jesus and He’ll take the mental demons away. I don’t believe so.

My pride is what compels me to walk in the dark. I should be able to picture the house in my mind by now and navigate by memory. Instead, I stick out my hands and try to ‘feel’ my way around. Likewise, it’s equally insulting, if not more so, to be told that we need Jesus if we are to navigate through life without stubbing our toe or stepping on the LEGO.

Christians aren’t the only people who think they’ve bee enlightened. In fact, I believe most of us walk with a sense that we’re surrounded by people who JUST DON’T GET IT!!!! At least, that is the impression I get behind a lot of what is posted on social media. Some atheists I know tell me their minds have been opened. I’m sure people of the world’s religions believe they have reached a sort of enlightenment.

So what do you think of Jesus’ claim to being the light? Here in North America, we have less to do with Jesus over time. As a believer myself, I cannot be convinced that we are becoming more enlightened. There is nothing about our political landscape, how we treat the environment, or mental fitness which would suggest to me that we are progressing. Instead, our culture reminds me of how I navigate the halls of my home in the dark - By Feel

Feelings are everything to us. The entertainment we consume is contrived largely to impact our emotions; fear, love, sexual arousal or joy. We enter into and exit out of relationships largely because of how we feel about the person. You can even sue someone if they hurt your feelings bad enough. We vote for politicians just because we don’t like the other candidate.

You might be okay with charting a course through life by sticking out your hands and feeling your way, hoping you won’t step in anything. Or maybe you’re sick of it and are happy to hear that there is another way to live and it’s a life lived with eyes wide open. Walk in the light. Follow Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment