Saturday, January 14, 2017

"What do you want from me?"

John 10

For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life that I may take it up again.” John 10

What does the world want from you?

Your answer to that question will likely vary greatly depending on who you are, your place in the world or even your gender. As for me, I’m a balding, middle aged working class male. From my vantage point, it feels like the world wants me to work so it can take my money. There is never any shortage of companies, groups or individuals holding out their hand. “The government” wants me to work so that I can pay taxes. Don’t ask me to account for where it all goes from there. The tech world keeps inventing new gadgets to catch my attention in order to grab their piece of the pie. There are also many other real needs and charities in the world vying for my attention. My employer wants me to be productive and useful. I even have people show up at my door, or call me on the phone to try and scam me.

So how about you? Maybe you are an attractive 20 something young lady and every guy that walks past you on the street thinks he has the freedom to look you over. You’re a teenager whose parents and teachers feel that you owe it to them to get straight A’s or lead your volleyball team to win the championship. You’re a mom and everyone expects you to do everything, from cooking, cleaning, washing, driving around the kids, and that’s after a full work day. Whoever you are, it can seem like there is no shortage of people who want your time, your money, your support, body, mind and even your vote.

This world has conditioned us to take all we can, protect what we’ve acquired and give back as little as possible. It comes as little surprise then how we have a difficult time understanding and receiving Jesus. In a world where everything is built to take from us, how difficult it is to process a man who came to lay down His life for our benefit. One might think He would have been a refreshment come into a parched land. Yet the taste of Him was, and is it seems, so alien that we are too apprehensive to consume. He is the ultimate outcast, resembling nothing of what we have observed in this life.

As we read through John, we have yet to arrive at the place where Jesus lays down His life. He tells us here in John 10 that this is exactly why He came, and it is for this very reason that the Father loves Him. It should compel us to love Him as well.

If you are to look at Jesus for who He is, why do you suppose any person could be so reviled by Him? We have much cause to be disappointed in other people here and now, be it within or outside of the church. There is little room for accusation towards a man who came to give His life as a ransom for many. .

The world has not been so kind to you and I as to deserve the level of devotion it demands of us. He said that His sheep recognize His voice. - What do you hear when He speaks?

No comments:

Post a Comment