Wednesday, January 25, 2017

You're What?!?

John 18

Now Simon Peter was standing and warming himself. So they said to him, “You also are not one of his disciples, are you?” He denied it and said, “I am not.”” John 18:25

If Peter were merely a sports fan, I suppose this story would read differently.

“You are a Toronto Maple Leaf’s fan. Aren’t you? They suck!” Reluctantly Peter replied, “Yes I am. But we’re in a rebuilding phase.”

Life really is about Jesus. Any other allegiances we have in life can find some place, or support in this world. When we have a favourite sports team, we wear our colours proudly, even amongst those who support the opposition. When we belong to any of the nations of the earth, it’s understandable when we wave our flag. Of all the things we can be associated with in this life, allegiance to Christ carries with it an odd kind of stigma.

It’s not too difficult to admit to our coworkers that we “go to church”. We can comfortably tell our peers that we spent the evening with our Bible study people, life group or youth program. However, if we begin to literally talk about being a follower of Jesus, the conversation gets very real. I remember early on when I became a new believer and I was telling my best friend what had happened to me. His words were these,

“Oh. You want to talk about religion. Do you?”

The conversation became significantly more uncomfortable after that. Had I merely become a communist, I think the dialogue would have been much more pleasant. Our relationship soon met its conclusion, not because either of us wanted it to, but we truly could no longer relate to one another. I hadn’t simply changed my sports team, political affiliation or preferred brand of running shoes. I was a new person who had chosen to be a part of a kingdom from some unearthly region.

Everything else has its place here. The Nation of Christ is the only alternative kingdom to that of this world. All other devotions fit somewhere within the spectrum of humanity. If we just wanted to be a part of a different culture, we could pack up and go. If we decided that the Netherlands know the right way to govern, we could buy a plane ticket and learn the language.

When we follow Jesus, there is no flag to wave and no soccer team to cheer for at the World Cup. There is no embassy to run to or military to defend you. There’s really nowhere to run to but Jesus – no other defense or refuge other than God Himself and His people. I know I’m not selling this very well and I don’t intend to. Being associated with Jesus doesn’t win anyone credit within this world now any more than it did for Peter on the eve of Jesus’ trial. Peter caved. We often do as well.

Peter made a very short sighted decision, one which he soon came to regret. We can either learn from Peter, or imitate him. One kingdom will endure and one will pass away. Which do you identify with; Jesus or the world?

No comments:

Post a Comment