Sunday, June 27, 2010

Apology

This whole, “new creation” business has reminded me of the time in my life where I began to believe. I mean really believe. I grew up going to church once in a while, but it wasn’t real to me. In my mid twenties, my wife and I began attending a United Church in Aylmer. The pastor’s name was Don Graham and I remember him teaching a series called, ‘Your Life’s Purpose’. Somehow, in that period of my life, Jesus became real to me.

I can’t point to a time or a date, but I do remember the period in my life. I felt led to help lead youth group and in time, it seemed as if I had been developing a spiritual gift for teaching. For about five nights a week, I would spend time in the Word and write a short letter on the things that God was revealing to me and I would send my reflections to my youth group.

That was all fine right? I sent my churchy writings to churchy people. I remember quite clearly however, debating on whether or not I should send my thoughts to my friends and family. It’s not that I would ever force it on them, rather; I debated on whether or not I should even allow them to see the kinds of things that I was learning in the faith.

Specifically, I was concerned about tarnishing my relationship with some of my university friends. I mean, we had a lot of fun together back in the day. We might not have been completely vile by any worldy standards, but few of us seemed to demonstrate or verbalize a sincere desire to live for Christ. (There were a couple.)

So that’s where I was - A young man in his mid twenties who had discovered the great treasure of The Kingdom of God; worthy of abandoning all. Having discovered the treasure, why do you suppose I would worry that my friends wouldn’t want anything to do with it?

To my shame, I guess I had judged them. I just assumed that they would have no interest in turning from sin and turning to God. I just assumed that my ‘new’ faith would be offensive to them.

Do you do that sometimes? Do you just assume that the people in your life don’t want anything to do with Christ? Have you even given them the opportunity to know and to decide for themselves?

I was wrong about my friends. Without exception, every one of my core group of friends from university is involved in their own church. We don’t all go to the same type of church and we don’t all write books or blogs, but all of us have some form of Christian faith.

It’s a funny thing really. Whether you know it or not, Christ really is at work in the world reconciling many of the people of this world unto Himself. Not everyone wants Him and I get that, but I know that He is capable of finding His lost sheep with or without our involvement.

In the end, I did give my friends the option of whether or not they wanted to read what I write, and most of them are encouraged to know that I’m walking on this narrow path alongside of them. Most of them have bought my book and even though they don’t agree with everything in it, have benefitted from it. In fact, I’m on my way home from visiting with one of them this evening. My family and I just celebrated their daughter’s 4th birthday and I must tell you that I was really encouraged to talk to my friend and to hear how he has been doing his part to uphold the Christian faith. His wife has been teaching Sunday school for the past few years as well.

I’m sorry. I’m sorry for the many of you whom I was afraid would never want anything to do with Jesus Christ. I have been arrogant and self righteous. I suppose I didn’t have to tell you, but I feel that you deserve an apology. In turn, I hope that you don’t carry that same air of self righteousness in your own faith. I hope that you don’t just assume that the people around you prefer to live lives of sin; separated from the God who loved them my sending His only begotten Son to die in their stead.

Please forgive me. Don’t do the same. It's not right to judge others.

Kevin L. Abell

6 comments:

  1. I love you too. Does that mean I'm forgiven?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post, Kev.

    When you make the statement "It's not right to judge others," you're taking 1 Cor. 5:12 into account right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing to forgive. I just love reading your stuff. Makes me think!

    ReplyDelete
  4. To be honest Michael, I didn't have it in mind at the moment. Now that I do......

    I guess I was trying to capture the essense of passages like Matthew 7:1 and Luke 6:37. Not sure if I did that well. Now that you have reminded me of Paul's words, it looks like I have some more work to do in reconciling 1Cor 5:12 to the words of Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  5. More and more I'm finding my study to be looking at scriptures and then balancing them with other scriptures.

    If we believe in some for of inerrancy, then Jesus "judge not others" is somehow compatible with Paul's "judge those inside the church."

    Theological thought today too often falls on one side (Jesus') or the other (Paul's). I like to think of Paul as being on Jesus' side, working out Jesus' teachings.

    So the thing to remember is: choose both. Take what Paul says and what Jesus says and wrestle with it.

    ReplyDelete