Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Sleep Tight

Sometimes being honest with you about my thoughts is a very difficult thing to do. I mean, there are moments when I think really dumb thoughts. I take a great amount of The Bible at face value and I think that it goes a long way, but it can also have its limitations.
There have been times when I would read passages like Luke 12:35-40 that have made me question whether or not I should sleep so much. (In a literal sense.) Don’t laugh at me or I’ll stop ministering to you. I’ll have the internet police bar you from accessing my blog post. I treasure my sleep. I really do. I prefer to have at least 9 hours or so. Of course, now that I’m blogging I tend to get a little less.
In Luke, we are told that we need to be awake when the Lord returns. So what if He comes at 1:00am Eastern Standard time? I never really took this thinking too far, but I must admit that it did cross my mind.
So I’ve been thankful to be studying the parable of the 10 virgins for an upcoming speaking engagement this summer. I was particularly grateful for this section of the passage,

Matthew 25:5-6 (English Standard Version)
5As the bridegroom was delayed, they all became drowsy and slept. 6But at midnight there was a cry, 'Here is the bridegroom! Come out to meet him.'

Again, with parables, you have to watch how much you dig into the minutia of the details, but I really don’t feel that I need to be all that concerned if He returns after my bed time. The virgins in the story had fallen asleep, but were awoken just prior to the arrival of the bridegroom. Maybe it will actually take on the form of the actual sound of a trumpet, or it might be more like a lightning show. What I’m convinced of, is that when He does return, there won’t be anyone on earth who will be able to sleep through the event.
I’m also toying with the notion that there may very well be some kind of spiritual awakening at that point in time. In the parable, both the wise and the foolish were woken up alike. If I’m correct in my recollection, the Gospel is supposed to be preached throughout the entire world before He returns. Even though the church on our continent is in decline, I’m hoping that there will actually be some kind of wake up call.
I know that this isn’t a tidy blog post, but I do hope that it might help you to have a sound night’s sleep.
Love Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment