Sunday, June 6, 2010

I Knew That.

Romans 2:14-15

“Even Gentiles, who do not have God’s written law, show that they know His law when they instinctively obey it, even without having heard it. They demonstrate that God’s law is written in their hearts, for their own conscience and thoughts either accuse them or tell them they are doing right.”

It’s a rather strange phenomenon. Is it not? If we are prepared to look closely enough at human behaviour, it isn’t too difficult to discover that somewhere in our minds, even when we say that we don’t believe in God, even when we have no intention of living for Him whatsoever, we know that He is right. When we live intentionally outside of His will for us, we are compelled to convince ourselves that everything is ok.

It’s why you never see, have seen or ever will see a Straight Pride Parade. If you were to interview most prison inmates, it’s why most of them will tell you that they are innocent. I had a friend who went to jail once and when he came out, he told me, “Kevin, I have never met so many innocent people in my entire life.” It’s why we expect our governments to do the good things that we ourselves as individuals are not prepared or willing to do.

I could list several ways in which this truth demonstrates itself in the realm of human activity, but I prefer to illustrate the matter by means of a story. It is a true story and I’m certain that none of you have ever made the same observations in your own lives.

Some time ago, I was invited to a party. I rarely go to those kinds of things, because when I go I feel like a fish out of water. It used to be my element at one point in my life. In fact, several of you were there right along with me in those days, but it isn’t my natural environment anymore. There are occasions however where I genuinely sense that it is my place to go.

Since most who read this are likely believers, I’ll fill you in on what sometimes happens at parties. We’re evolving as a creature so I’m certain that this type of thing will happen less and less as time goes by; so be thankful that I am preserving this precious part of human history in literary form.

These kinds of parties are where people gather together to consume significant amounts of alcohol. In more extreme forms, other drugs might be consumed, but among the more respectable elements of society which I have been involved, alcohol has been the predominant drug of choice. I don’t claim to be the all knowledgeable source on the inns and outs of party life and I’m prepared to acknowledge that much more goes on than I have personally experienced. I hear stories where people actually engage in sexual activity and violence. However, this wasn’t that kind of party. This was merely the kind where people went to drink and have a good time. I don’t believe that many of us were there on that night in order to uphold any sort of morality, either ‘religious’ or otherwise.

I want to tell you about three men who were there that day. (Besides me of course.) Their names were Billy, Bob and Jim. Jim was perhaps the most respectable of the three. He had a few drinks, but nothing serious. He never really got out of line or did anything too crazy. Jim was content to sip on his beverage and play cards with a few others who sat at his table. Jim seemed to enjoy being a part of the festivities and took a few pictures in order to remember the occasion.

Bob had a very different attitude towards the evening as a whole. In fact, he turned out to be what many would refer to as being the life of the party. I have to admit that he did indeed provide a significant amount of entertainment even for myself as I sat there taking part. I don’t think I’m being judgemental. In fact, I rather enjoyed watching Bob. He ended up wearing this funny hat, dancing on the tables and hugging each person whom he came in contact with.

Billy’s story was different still. He wasn’t nearly as entertaining as Bob. He joined in singing to the odd song that came on the stereo and gave Bob a hug from time to time. Mostly, Billy just drank and talked. He turned neither violent nor argumentative. At times, his voice would become tolerably loud, but tolerable still. Billy talked and drank. That was about it.

I did my absolute best to be there without passing judgment on anyone. Overall, from a worldly standpoint, I found very little to be objectionable. Nobody was hurt. No fights broke out. No one committed any form of sexual immorality. It was what most people would claim to be just good old fashioned fun. (Apparently.)

Truth is a funny thing and we each allow ourselves to see whatever it is we want to see from life as it happens around us. During the party, no objections were raised whatsoever. This was exactly the kind of scene that we see advertised on beer commercials during the hockey game. Believe me when I tell you that this was not a church gathering. The things that I share with you next are NOT coming from any form of Christian legalistic, rule following thinking.

Apparently, after the dust settled and the sun rose on the following day, a lot of the people there were upset with how much Billy had drank the night before. He didn’t hurt anybody. He didn’t fall down and break his neck, but was being accused of having drank too much. Don’t you find there to be something odd in that? ; That a group of beer drinking partiers would accuse their friend of drinking too much? Is that not exactly what each of them was there to do?

When Jim got home, he posted a few of the pictures that he had taken on his Facebook page. It was all good fun right? Nobody was hurt and no one was caught making out with someone else’s girlfriend or wife. As parties go, this one was pretty tame. So you tell me. Why was it that Bob ended up being mad when Jim made his picture public?

I’ll tell you why, even if you don’t believe me. In the recesses of our conscience, we know. Even though we consistently tell ourselves that there is nothing wrong with it, even for those who don’t even pretend to believe in any God at all, we really do know that He is right. It’s why beer drinkers accuse other beer drinkers of drinking too much. It’s why we don’t want others seeing us in that silly hat, even though we tell ourselves that it’s just good fun.

The law has been written instinctively into our hearts whether we want it to be there or not. Although we convince ourselves that there is nothing wrong with our actions, seeing our misadventures publicised is a direct affront to the conscience that we cannot erase. For individuals who are prepared to be honest with themselves, they eventually come to realize the fact that everything is not okay in Never Never Land.

I’ve looked at this issue in the negative sense, but I believe the passage also lends itself to the fact that Christians do not, never have, nor ever will have a monopoly with regards to issues of morality. God’s law really has been written on the human heart, so it’s not uncommon to find people who live ethically admirable lives, who in turn profess absolutely not faith of any kind. Atheists are often decent human beings. I know it’s shocking. Deal with it.

1 comment:

  1. Kev,

    You really must read Mere Christianity. CS Lewis puts these things so well.

    ReplyDelete