Wednesday, July 21, 2010

I can be your hero baby!

For better or for worse, I'm developing a serious dislike for most love songs. Working at The Mufflerman I hear them all day long. Songs like this one....



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt2kM0TsubU



If you don't want to watch it, allow me to spare you the trouble. This particular number is performed by a group named Nickelback and it's the kind of music that I used to devour. So I assume that many other people eat it up too, since the video has had about 5 million views.

"You're never gonna be alone.
From this moment on
If you ever fell like letting go
I won't let you fall.
When all hope is gone
I know that you can carry on...."

Stuff like that. I asked Barb this question the other day, "Do you know even one woman whose husband has been able to be everything for them?" In romantic love, we are told and tell so many lies. I used to say the same lies to my highschool girlfriend...

"I'll always love you. I'll always be there because love is forever..."

Then I dropped her like a stone when I met Barb. Poor girl. I probably owe her an apology. We are so used to hearing and believeing the lies, to the point where we are genuinely suprised in the moment of truth.

But I really thought she was the one. I really thought this was it. This was what all of those love songs were singing about. Am I talking about an uncommon occurrence? Boy meets girl. Girl meets boy. Boy thinks this is the girl. Girl thinks that this is the boy. Boy dumps girl, even though boy said he would always be there. He held her hand and sang, "I will be your hero baby! I will kiss away your pain."

Girl dumps boy even though boy is a decent fellow. Boy is hurt.

Oddly enough, Barb doesn't even know one other woman who has been competely satisfied by the man in her life. Imagine if I fixed cars the way Nickelback sing songs.

"Never gonna break down again,
from this moment on."

I can't back it up and I should not ever make such a claim.

Nobody can make those kinds of claims. Well, there is One who can. There is someone who really can say that He will never leave nor forsake us and Who is able to back it up, but we really don't trust Him do we? Why is that? I think part of the reason is because we've had other people in our lives make similar claims and they let us down. How can God be any diferent? In our culture, we're accustomed to being lied to in our popular music and in the way companies try to manipulate us to buy their products, so it really is a tough thing to trust a God we cannot see.

How about it guys? Remeber Michelle Branch? Is she really able to save you and take you away from here?

How about it girls? Do you really believe the Nickelbacks in your life?

For those of you who are married, you still feel alone sometimes don't you? Well, maybe not my newlyweds. You might still be enthralled with each other. I suppose I'm a bit too cynical to be a believer, but I'm convinced that we as a culture prefer to live lives that are hurt, broken and jaded, because we eat this stuff right up. We sing to it, we dance to it, we play it on our ipods and in our cars. We make celebrities out of the people who feed us the most garbage.

So read my blog. I'll always be there for you. I'll be your personal Jesus Superhero Connection.

Whatever....

1 comment:

  1. What? Michelle Branch was lying?!?!?! I LOVE that song.

    No, seriously, I spent an entire summer listening to that album.

    Don't tell anyone. I also listened to Third Day once.

    Is there a confession booth around here somewhere?

    ReplyDelete