Thursday, July 15, 2010

Yin and Yang



There is more to God’s standard for human sexuality, but this should be a decent start. Suppose you haven’t come to Christ yet, how do you respond to the law? Have you done any of these?

(See last post.)

As for me, I have. Please don’t ask me to tell you which one(s) I’ve violated. I hope that it is sufficient for me to be honest enough in saying that I have violated one (or more) of these laws found in Leviticus 18. Would you like a number? If I said, “Three”, would you look through the list again wondering which three I have broken? The law was intended to reveal our sin and to point us to Christ, but that isn’t how everyone responds.

The easy route is to tell ourselves that this God is little more than a spooky fairy tale. However, I’m convinced that for anyone who is honest with their conscience, that this doesn’t really seem to settle one’s heart. Many or most atheists seem to spend much of their lives fighting against a God they claim doesn’t exist. That's Wierd.


http://kevinabell.blogspot.com/2010/05/what-lies-beneath-part-iii.html


The good old fashioned ‘balance’ theory is a good one too. It’s okay for me to do things that are vile, as long as I do enough good things to counteract the bad. How does that really work in real life? Suppose someone kills your son, but they do a lot of charitable work. Would that wash with you? If I beat my wife and children, but I help at a soup kitchen on weekends, does that really make it all better? To me, that kind of thinking is just dumb. Sorry if you disagree with me, but I can’t yield on this one. Even if it did work, how do you know what the score is?

There is a place for balance in life. It’s not good for me to spend every waking hour at work. It isn’t good to choose not to work so that I can live an impoverished life and stay at home with my family. I shouldn’t spend all of my evening hours out with the guys. We do need to balance work and family life. What I’m saying, is that as far as good and evil are concerned, embracing evil isn’t right, even if we do give to the food bank.

Doing nice stuff doesn’t erase the evil we have done in this life. If we see our sin as sin and if we are honest with ourselves, no Boy Scout good deed actually erases it.

No comments:

Post a Comment