Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Freak Show

I’m sure that you are much more balanced than me and that this has never happened to you. I know that my posts lately haven’t been all that interesting. I haven’t taught you anything new have I?

This morning I was having breakfast with a friend of mine who does not read my blog. I know what you are thinking. Why would I spend time with someone who doesn’t take the time to read what I write? I’m not sure myself. He was talking about a study he heard of. A group of high school students were asked a question similar to this,

“Do you at times have a voice in your heard which tells you to do bad things?”

That might not be the exact question, but it’s as close as I remember. Approximately 80% of respondents answered yes. I realize that it doesn’t happen to everybody. In fact, I’m sure it has never happened to you.

I have had a voice that has plagued me for much of my adult life. I remember riding in the back of my parent’s farm truck, having this overwhelming impression that I should ‘jump’on to the pavement. I remember ‘being told’ to do many unspeakable things. It wasn’t so long ago that I remember sitting in church next to a missionary and I had the sense that I should stab him in the eye with my pencil. Just think. If I shared that with you, what kinds of things would I say are ‘unspeakable.’?

Watching my daughter enter into adulthood has been an eye opener in many ways as she has been open with us about some of her struggles as a young woman. Even though my posts lately haven’t been all that theologically in-depth, I wonder. What happens to people who never learn to recognize the voice for what it is and how to deal with it?

How many people do you suppose live under the burden of a damning voice of some kind? Do they need to take medication? What would a medical prognosis be? I suppose they just have bad nerves.

For those who never have to deal with it, that’s wonderful . I suppose your life is just full of fresh air and sunshine.

3 comments:

  1. I think I know what you're talking about here. I know that I've often been plagued with thoughts of doing horrible things. It wasn't until recently that I admitted to some friends about struggles I was having during my quiet time and my battles with strange temptations, questions, doubts, fears, etc. I felt like I had to hide what I was dealing with, thinking nobody else went through stuff like that. One day I just broke and knew I couldn't cover it up any more. And I think that was my first step toward freedom from that. It's good to confess and have others pray for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I know what you're talking about here. I know that I've often been plagued with thoughts of doing horrible things. It wasn't until recently that I admitted to some friends about struggles I was having during my quiet time and my battles with strange temptations, questions, doubts, fears, etc. I felt like I had to hide what I was dealing with, thinking nobody else went through stuff like that. One day I just broke and knew I couldn't cover it up any more. And I think that was my first step toward freedom from that. It's good to confess and have others pray for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Margaret. How wonderful to have friends that love you who don't freak out, but instead will love you and pray with you. Those are a true blessing.

    May God bless you.

    ReplyDelete