Friday, December 3, 2010

Merry Christmas (Not My Problem)

I really don’t get it to be honest. It’s not that it bothers me. It really doesn’t. I mean, if our Lord was rejected by the world He came to save, why would they want to celebrate His birthday? (Not that I know for sure how close He was born to Dec. 25)

Yesterday morning I woke up listening to the news on BX93 talking about how many people in North America don’t like Christmas. The guy being interviewed on the radio said that we should celebrate a holiday that includes everybody. I’m assuming that the man being interviewed is of the opinion that Christmas is only for Christians.

Maybe I’m crazy, but I really don’t think that the Christmas we celebrate in North America has much to do with Jesus anyway. I’m not passing judgment on you. I’m thinking of my own experience. Sure. I go to church on Christmas Eve. My wife has Christmas music in both of my vehicles. When I became a believer, I even made the really bold move of walking away from Santa. I still do the presents, not because they have anything to do with Jesus, but because I like the presents. I could do without the tree, but where would I put the presents?

Isn’t there something for everyone in Christmas? I mean, if you hate Jesus, you’ve got Santa Claus. If you love Jesus, you can make it all about Him, even though you likely won’t. Can you honestly tell me that the materialism and feasting have much to do with the baby in the manger? So why all of the fuss? Why isn’t it politically correct to wish everyone ‘Merry Christmas’. Why don’t we hear the same objections to Halloween in the public realm? Why don’t we hear complaints saying, “Halloween has its roots in paganism. Not everyone is pagan so we shouldn’t say ‘Happy Halloween.’”?

Perhaps the thought that remains with me the most is when I hear complaints saying that Christmas isn’t for everyone. Here’s the thing. Jesus is for everyone. Suppose I give you a gift. Imagine that it is something small, something like – eternal life. I know it isn’t much, but I wanted to give you something. If you tell me that you don’t want that gift…

HOW IS THAT MY PROBLEM????

It isn’t any different now than it was 2000 years ago.

He came into the very world He created, but the word didn’t recognize Him. He came to His own people, and even they rejected Him.” John 1:10-11

The objections that are raised with regards to Christmas have nothing to do with the holiday itself. The world has little objection to Santa Claus, the Yule Log, family dinners or the new I-Tablet under the Christmas tree. The only objection to Christmas lies in the name itself; Christ.

As Christians in North America, we have enjoyed a rather peculiar
privilege. We have enjoyed a Christian-ish cultural heritage which would have been enviable to the early church. If the world rejected the One that we serve, we can’t really be all that surprised if it wants to walk away from a holiday which carries His title. If anything is out of place, it isn’t that Christmas is losing its ground. The fact that we have had this Christmas as a national holiday, is the anomaly itself.

2 comments:

  1. People who are opposed to something aren't trying to make a point during their interview. They are expressing their opinion, in the hopes that, the more you hear it, the more you believe it, even if it is not true. (it's on the radio, so this person must know what they are talking about?).

    I'm actually the opposite of you. Please don't kick me off your blog, but I don't get much out of celebrating Jesus's birthday on Christmas. I think part of it is because I know that Dec 25th probably isn't the day (it was picked at random) and part of it is because there is so much "other stuff" attached to the day that it clouds the message. Maybe because I don't really make a big deal about birthdays in general. I guess I tend to reserve my reverance for Easter/Good Friday, which I know are arbitrary dates as well but I overlook it then.

    I get really offended when ministers use the Christmas story to promote helping the homeless and compare Joseph & Mary to homeless people without food or clothing. You can ask me why later.

    That's why I am okay with the "party" atmosphere on Christmas I guess.

    Maybe we should have a "Jesus knocked over the tables in church day?" That was a pretty cool moment in his life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really looking forward to seeing you for "Christmas". And yes. I will allow you to keep reading my blog. :-)

    Without going into great depth, I really don't think you're the opposite of me in the way that I believe you are thinking. We'll talk about it if it comes up, but we likely do have other important things to share.

    ReplyDelete