Tuesday, December 21, 2010

My Goal

I’ve just finished the first round of editing my second book. I often wonder how this sort of thing works for real authors. When they finish a book, do they have a sense of accomplishment? Do they tend to have any kind of assurance that the piece they have written will actually help anyone? When they pen their final words, do they look at their creation and say, “Wow. I can’t believe how profound my words are. Some of these statements are bound to end up on Facebook Status updates all over the world!”?

Whenever I write anything, I ask myself these questions;

“Why do I bother?”

“Does this actually help anyone?”

“Aren’t there people out there who have spoken much more eloquently on the topic? And wouldn’t my time be better spent finding out who that is and directing others towards their work?”

“Will it offend anyone unnecessarily?” (In my opinion, there is such a thing as necessary offense.)

There are many elements to my writings which I know are deficient. I know that I’m not well studied. This is one of the reasons why I consistently ask why I should bother. I do read the Bible, if that counts for anything.

I never planned on living the kind of faith that I have. In fact, I have walked through most of my life without a plan at all. I have resolved to do one thing – I live my days in the hopes that I will be used of God to point others towards Christ. I long to hear only one thing from my Father when I come before the throne; “Well done, good and faithful servant.”

Other than that, in earthly terms I really haven’t had any tangible goals. I’m not trying to say that this has been a matter of faith. Some believers really are goal focused individuals and God may even use such people more effectively than He intends for me. There is however one thing that I can point to as being a specific measureable goal as I live out my calling. It might sound silly to you.

Years ago, when I began writing e-mails to the youth in our church, I had wanted to have one person reading my letters for every year of my life. In other words, when I was thirty, my goal was to have thirty people who wanted to receive my e-mails. Now that I write in blog form, I hope that when I’m 40, that there will be forty people who enjoy hearing my thoughts.

Does that sound odd? Does it sound small? As much as I enjoy speaking publicly, and as much as I enjoyed that one time on TV, I have never wanted my ministry grow beyond a place where I am able to connect with those who take the time to hear my thoughts. It’s the same reason why I don’t place much value in what John MacArthur, Charles Stanley or Mark Driscoll have to say. I do however place a great deal of value in what Michael Krahn, Bill Coleman and Arthur Cairncross have to say. I value their input into my life, because when I need them, they are the ones who care. They are the ones who pray. Our Christian celebrities really don’t know whether I live or die.

Thank you for walking with me. I hope that you have a happy Christmas. I look forward to seeing many of you within the next few weeks. For the few of you who live outside of Canada, I pray that the comfort of the Holy Spirit rests with you as He does with all who belong to Him.

God Bless;
Kevin

2 comments:

  1. I don't think the manner of writing or the educational ability of the author matters at all. Does the book say what you want it to say?

    If so, that's enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same feelings sometimes. Why bother? Does anybody really care about what I have to say? I'm hardly qualified to write this. I mean, I'm just learning this myself and still have so far to go. If I don't have it all together, they'll see me as a hypocrite.

    But that doesn't always keep me from writing. Sometimes when I get these feelings, somebody just happens to drop me a note saying how blessed they are to read my blog and it keeps me going.

    And like you said, the people that have most spoken into my life are not the Christian "hot shots" and well-known writers. They're the people right around me, in my church and my friends.

    ReplyDelete