Sunday, December 12, 2010

Show Me.

How do you respond to someone when you really don’t agree with what they are saying? There are times when we need to take a stand and times where it just makes for good diplomacy to let the issue pass. Would you agree? Where do you draw the line though?

Yesterday, a Facebook friend of mine accused me of something that I didn’t quite agree with. I had helped a mutual acquaintance with their car troubles and as a result, the individual in question said that I was ‘very kind’.

I sat at my laptop for a few minutes, pondering how to respond. The person who said it was a believer, so I knew they would understand where I was coming from.

Luke 6:32-33 (English Standard Version)
32 "If you love those who love you, what benefit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. 33And if you do good to those who do good to you, what benefit is that to you? For even sinners do the same.

In the end, rather than giving a lengthy rebuttal on how I had not demonstrated Biblical kindness, I merely offered a polite, ‘You’re welcome.’ I was merely doing good to someone who consistently does god to me.

I don’t have a problem with being kind according to the standards of this world. Of course, our culture’s standards are pretty low. I do have a great amount of difficulty in demonstrating the kind of love that should characterize a person who walks by The Holy Spirit.

My boss commented yesterday on how I seem to do a lot to help people. It was nice to hear. I am quite comfortable helping my family, my friends and people in my life group when I have the time. I am not so compelled to go out of my way to help the people who I know complain about me or make fun of me. According to the world’s standards, maybe I am a rather kind and considerate individual, but if we’re looking at what is considered to be Biblical love, I am a dismal disappointment.

I often hear nonbelievers who think that we’re a bunch of hypocrites. I also hear things said about Christians such as this, “If that is what a believer is, then I don’t want anything to do with it.” I have also heard this on many occassions, "The greatest cause of athiesm is this, Christians who acknowledge Jesus with their lips, but go on living lives that are unchanged."

If that describes your attitude towards Christians, I have something to ask of you. You see, I’ve been walking with Jesus for a little over 10 years now and I just can’t be everything that He tells us to be. My challenge to you is this – show me how it’s done. Would you commit yourself for one year to study the Jesus found in the Bible and to faithfully live the life that He both lived and advocated. I just can’t do it. Perhaps you can.

1 comment:

  1. I think the Bible/Jesus sets out an ideal. I hate to break this to you, but you can't be Jesus. It's not possible.

    However, just because you can't meet the ideal, does not mean you should through your hands up and be the opposite either.

    We are always moving towards a target. Better off moving towards the right target than none at all.

    ReplyDelete