Monday, February 7, 2011

Catholic or Christian?

Hi Kevin.
Sorry to keep asking you questions, but Krista asked a religious question this morning and of course I don't have a clue. Do you mind answering it for her? She asked "What is the difference between a Catholic and a Christian?" All of us have been baptized and are considered Catholic I think. I just don't know what to tell her.
Thanks Kevin.

Hello My Friend.

I hope that you are feeling well and will be able to return to work soon. Please don’t be sorry for asking me questions. I’m not just being polite. In fact, having this role in your life continues to be one of the greater joys of my calling in Christ. I hope we still have the kind of relationship where I can make you smile. I really want you to know how much I appreciate you. The truth is that books, books and more books are written in order to teach churched people like me how to talk to unchurched people like you. Did you smile? Please say that you did, because if you didn’t, I might cry. It’s true though. We call it evangelism. I’ll explain evangelism later. For now…..

“What is the difference between a Catholic and a Christian?”

I prefer to think that my strength lies in Christianity rather than Catholicism, so I’ll begin there. In the most basic terms, the suffix, ‘ian’ is generally meant to identify a person as being either a supporter or citizen of some cause, country or person. A Darwinian would support and subscribe to the teachings and theories of Darwin. A Canadian is a citizen of Canada. Russia – Russian, Australia – Australian and so on.

The word Christian is used to describe people who believe in the Jesus of The Bible. In its first use, it was used by non-believers as a way to label people who had believed in Jesus. Prior to that, Jesus’ followers were often referred to as either disciples, followers or believers.


Acts 11:26 (New Living Translation)
26 When he found him, he brought him back to Antioch. Both of them stayed there with the church for a full year, teaching large crowds of people. (It was at Antioch that the believers were first called Christians.)

If you ever take the time to read the New Testament, much of it speaks on what is referred to as, “The Kingdom of God”. You and I are Canadians because we are citizens of Canada. Likewise, as Christians, we who are In Christ have citizenship in Christ’s country.

John 18:36 (New Living Translation)
36 Jesus answered, “My Kingdom is not an earthly kingdom. If it were, my followers would fight to keep me from being handed over to the Jewish leaders. But my Kingdom is not of this world.”

Jesus’ country (kingdom) is not from this world. So for you or for I to become a part of His kingdom, it’s like committing the ultimate act of high treason. I call myself a Christian, because I believe that His death on the cross actually made the way for me to be a part of His unearthly Kingdom. Out of gratitude, I choose to follow Him and be called as one of His.

In the early days of Christianity, there were no Catholics, Baptists or Anglicans. In the 2000 or so years since He walked in bodily form on the earth, we, as Christians have divided and split into many different flavours.

In a perfect world, there wouldn’t be any difference between being a Catholic and a Christian, but we as people tend to mess stuff up. We have made religions where we were simply called to live in faith. If being a Christian means to identify oneself with Christ, being a Catholic means to identify with being a part of the Catholic Church.

For me, I go to a Baptist type church, but I don’t call myself a Baptist. Being a member of a Church or religion isn’t exactly what God calls us to be. The way that I understand it, being a Catholic and a Christian don’t have to be mutually exclusive. There are Catholics who I believe have genuinely placed their trust in Jesus. For some reason, telling people that you are a Catholic is much easier than telling someone that you are a follower of Jesus Christ. Identifying with a religion is easier than asking the tougher question,

“Do I really believe that I have been made right with The Father through Jesus The Son?”

One can be faked, the other cannot. We can jump through the hoops and join the ‘Church’, but we can’t make ourselves believe. Can we?

My friend, I encourage you to read through Luke and then John in the Bible and ask yourself this question as you read, “What does it mean to believe in and follow Jesus?” I believe strongly that you are called to be the answer man for your darling little girl. I’ll be here for you as much as I can, but you are the man that she looks up to, you are the one who held her when she was young and you’ll be the one who has to screen the scum…..I mean boys she brings home. Not that she’ll have bad taste, but let’s face it, no one is good enough for our little girls. (except Jesus in my opinion)

Here is the simplest way that I can put it. It comes down to identity. Do I place my identity in the religion of Catholicism? Or do I place my identity in the person of Jesus Christ?

I am very glad that we continue to be in touch. I hope that I can continue to encourage you as long as we both possess the breath of life.

May the Lord bless you and may He keep you. When He looks at you, I hope He smiles.

With Love
Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment