Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Reconciliation

Dear Friend

I can’t tell you how grateful I am that you would think of me. Yes. Before becoming a godparent, I think you probably should be strip searched. In fact, maybe I can pull a few strings and make it happen. As for you obligations as a godparent, you’ll have to ask the parents. Obviously, the people who asked you must have a tremendous amount of respect for you and see something in your character that reminds them of God. (As do I)

I did my best to answer the question about reconciliation when I spoke with your wife, but I really wanted to take a small amount of time here. I hope that it helps.

As a verb, the word, Reconcile literally means to bring two parties together. I believe the question that was asked of you went something like this,

“Have you been reconciliated?”

The question being asked is a very personal one and you are the only person in this world who can answer it. It’s basically asking whether or not you have been brought into a right relationship with God. It’s a big question and the answer can invoke a lot of soul searching.

Do you even believe in God in the first place? Is there any need to be right with Him? Who says that I’m not right with Him to begin with?

2 Corinthians 5:19 (New Living Translation)
19 For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people’s sins against them. And he gave us this wonderful message of reconciliation.

Basically, we have all been separated from God by our sins. Some people believe that if they stop doing ‘bad stuff’ that God will just get over it. Other’s believe that if you do a lot of ‘good stuff’, that it will make up for any bad. I don’t know about you, but it really doesn’t make much sense to me. Imagine that I urinate in your hot tub. Imagine that I do that every day for a year. At the end of the year, I just stop. Does that make it all better? Or what if I keep peeing in your tub on an ongoing basis, but I give money to the local food bank. Will that make up for it?

We’re told in scripture that God was in Jesus, making us right with Himself – no longer counting our sins against us. Being reconciled to Him means simply receiving the right relationship with him which was offered to us through the person of Jesus Christ.

John 3:16 (New Living Translation)
16 “For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.

These are basic, but big life questions that you are addressing right now. Even if it sounds wonky, I want you to know that I consider it a blessing to know you and am pleased to have the privilege of being the person who comes to mind when your thoughts turns to these matters. There is a lot more theology that goes along with what I’ve just shared with you, but I hope this is enough to help you for now.

God bless;

Kevin

1 comment: