Monday, February 14, 2011

Now That's Funny!

I’ve never been known to be someone to say whether or not God does or does not have a sense of humour. I do know that He laughs, but am not certain that it’s about a matter found to be hilarious. There are however certain aspects of life which lend evidence to support that He may.

When my wife and I were newer believers, we had it on our hearts to financially help a couple that intended to live out their married lives as missionaries. We haven’t helped them as much through the years as we would have liked, but have done what we could. They don’t pry on our heart strings, so when other needs are brought before us, they do get the shorter end of the stick. I mean, when the church’s roof is leaking, if the kitchen needs to be upgraded or the building debt is mounting, the leadership are there to make us all aware of the need. Our missionary friends on the other hand just give God the glory for His provision and place little on our hearts of the knowledge of their needs.

As the years have flown by, our missionary couple still lives in Southwestern Ontario. To me, that’s funny. In fact, I had a good laugh on the way home this evening.

Although they seem to remain planted here on the home front, I am very pleased to be partnered with them, even if my role in their ministry remains rather small. I would like to share with you some of their thoughts as they continue to live out their calling in a place where the soil often proves itself to be rather hard.

Why do others get to go and we're called to stay? We never intended to be in North America and yet this is exactly where God has very clearly lead us... I inwardly chafed and complained.

Quite a number of years ago Craig put everything in perspective when he said, "How would you live if we were overseas? Live that way here."

So, to know Him here OR there... to be faithful to what He's called me to here OR there... to love well here OR there... It doesn't really matter -- I *need* Him and am completely dependent on His grace either way
.”

If you appreciate people who simply live a thankful, Biblically gracious life, I encourage you to check out their blog once in a while.

http://baumanfamilypaths.blogspot.com

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Kevin. We really do live in grace.

    I think you and Barb have done more for us than you know. The best things often can't be measured in dollars and cents, though sometimes in hours and minutes (and wow, do we appreciate both!). The very best things are often invisible to most, but seen by God... and I think it's because you move in this realm so much that you bless us so heartily.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete