Monday, October 4, 2010

God Of Comfort (Not the same as Southern Comfort)

I started this week being mildly discouraged. My oldest son came up to me in church carrying the contents from our mail folder. He likes to be the first one to get there. In his hands was a copy of my book that I had given to one of guys in a group who had played at our church a couple of weeks back.

I understand. I had given him the book after asking whether or not he would want it. I don't expect them to read every book from every person that buys their cd. It's just, when you like what someone does, you prefer to think that they might like what you do. Of course, I'd rather have it back than have him throw it in the garbage. Still, I would have prefered a polite refusal to begin with.

Today however has been a great encouragement. It's not that our joy depends on our circumstance, but its still nice to be reassured somehow that what you do matters. Today at work, one of my customers asked if I could speak at his church. After checking out my blog, I found that Helen liked my last post. I don't know if this is always how it works, but God proves Himself over and over to be a God of comfort. It seems to me that He often uses His own people to be that very vessel of comfort.

2 Corinthians
The God of All Comfort
3Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, 4who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.

4 comments:

  1. Perhaps the book came back to you because he misplaced it, the finder didn't know who the inscription was for, and it was easier to get to you than throw in the trash. You might want to check again if he lost his book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know Ken, I hadn't thought of that. You aren't implying that my impressions are sometimes...wrong. Are you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was implying nothing, just giving a "perhaps" to what happened, with no need to be discouraged.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I am wrong sometimes and you were quite right. Thank you for the 'perhaps'. I hope you had a good Sunday today.

    ReplyDelete