Sunday, October 24, 2010

Who Was That Anyway?

The context police might arrest me for this one. Yes. I am using this passage completely out of context. Moi-hahaha!

Luke 12:7 (New International Version)
7Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.

For anyone who doesn’t think that God is all that great, I really don’t think they have much of an idea of who He is. Today I was at Canadian Tire paying off part of my Canadian Tire Mastercard. As I stood waiting at the cashier, a young woman fell in line behind me. Due to the look on her face, I could tell that she thought she knew me. So I did what anyone else does in similar circumstances. I smiled politely and said hi.

Now, even though I have written one book and even though I do write a blog post from time to time, this isn’t the scenario where I am this huge public figure who just can’t seem to escape the public lens. I’m not being chased by throngs of individuals who have checked me out on YouTube and are looking for the chance to finally meet me face to face.

Side note. I think fans are idolaters.

I have had the privilege however of speaking at a few (and I mean a few) different churches in my area and I do on occasion run into people with whom I have had some enjoyable, yet brief contact. Fortunately, the smile and the hello were enough to deal with the awkwardness of the situation.

“So. Did your daughter enjoy youth group last night?” She asked.

That’s it. This lady must be part of the youth program at my church. At least now I have some basis for initiating a polite conversation.

You’ve likely been there too haven’t you? We just can’t remember everyone we meet. I know that this won’t be an impressive post, but think on it. God not only knows every person in the world, he even knows how much hair we have.

How horrible it would be if God were like me. I can’t imagine going to Him in prayer during my time of greatest need, only to have Him reply, “Do I know you? Where have we met?”

Even if you don’t know Him, He knows you. I don’t know if that’s comforting or not. It’s just the way it is.

1 comment:

  1. Those kinds of experiences are always really awkward for me. The last thing you want to happen is have them realize you have no idea who they are.

    ReplyDelete