Sunday, October 31, 2010

Should I Stay or Should I Go Now?

These past few weeks have been very busy for me. As far as my speaking engagements go, I should have a bit of a rest. I only have one event on my list for Nov. at Springfield Baptist Church and it’s only like 8 minutes.

As many or most of you know, I spoke last evening at Aylmer’s EMMC. That’s the one that I made the promo video for. Unfortunately, that promo video has already topped my blog for the most hits. It kind of burns me in a way. Out of all the things that I have said in the hopes of being a spiritual encouragement for those who are being saved, the sardonic promo tops the pile. Ugh.

This past summer I had been toying with the idea of joining the EMMC. I mean, whenever I go, they give me a mic, a stage and an audience. Why wouldn’t anyone fall in love with a church like that? My wife and I haven’t went as much as I have wanted, but we’ve enjoyed our time there and feel that it is a place where we could belong.

I’m often torn when I ponder the direction of the earthly workings of my faith. You see, I am constantly bombarded with voices which tell me that I need to pursue some type of preaching career. So, one would think that if I were to join a church that gives me a stage, a microphone and an audience, that it would help to ‘develop’ me in some way.

The truth is, I am doing everything that I know to do. I rarely turn down a speaking invitation. I write what I can, teach when I can, preach when I can and spend time with other men when I can, all in the midst of trying to hold down a job, pay down a mortgage and raise a family.

Matthew 10:11 (New Living Translation)
11 “Whenever you enter a city or village, search for a worthy person and stay in his home until you leave town.”

These are some of the words that Jesus had for His disciples when He sent them out on their first mission trip. (Sort of) He’s sending them out to different towns, so they are to move from place to place. However, in each town, they are to find a place to stay and stick with it while they are in that town.

I’m not trying to say that there isn’t time to move from one church to another. In the case of the disciples, there was a time in which they were to move on to the next town. I wonder though, if Jesus was discouraging a certain kind of behavior. Suppose they were staying at Bob Johnston’s house. What if Jim Smith invited them over? Suppose Jim Smith also had a hot tub and a heated pool. Would that sweeten the deal a bit?

“Bob. Thanks for the donuts and coffee, but I’m heading over to Jim Smith’s house next week because I could sure use a good swim in the evening.”

Ok. So this isn’t deep theology, but there is a fleshiness which has the potential to creep in, even into our calling. I really think my flesh was that the part of me that wanted to become a regular part of the EMMC. There might be a time when I’m called away from my current church, but I don’t have peace that now is the time. Really now. What would it be like to go to a church, primarily on the hopes that you would get more stage time? What then? What if another church had a bigger stage and a bigger audience? Would that be something else to leave for? What if another church approached you that promised to podcast your messages every week, making them available on DVD? What if they had the technology to touch up your facial abnormalities?

I’m at peace with our choice to remain at Faith for the moment. And no. I’m not holding out in the hopes that they’ll give me the stage, the mic or the audience. (They also have a low key light show. Sometimes we even have dancers.) I’m content to teach Sunday School aged children. I’m happy to be an encouragement to the men on Thursday nights.

Thank you EMMC for opening your arms to myself and my family. My wife and I really do enjoy our time with you. Thank you Faith for being our family. And if anyone from St. Paul’s is still listening, I miss my time with you immensely and think of you often.

1 comment:

  1. I hadn't considered the facial abnormality correction software before you mentioned it, but come to think of it... the reason we don't video record your sermons is actually because we don't have that software.

    I'll let you know when we get it. Until then you'll remain our occasional guest.

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete