Sunday, January 8, 2012

Guess What I've Got!

There are many parts of scripture that I really don’t get. Sometimes I understand something intellectually, but really don’t grasp it in my heart. If you are the kind of person who likes my writing, you likely find yourself in a similar spot on occasion. If you are the kind who likes to think that he has his theology down to a properly constructed system, I guess you are much smarter than me.

Here is a passage that is becoming clearer to me in many ways.

Believers who are poor have something to boast about, for God has honoured them. And those who are rich should boast that God has humbled them.” James 1:9-10

Not only is the message of it counter cultural, it can be difficult to see how being rich can be in itself a humbling situation. Much of our thinking tends to lean the other way. If we get right with God, our lives should get easier. James is good enough to explain that our achievements fade away in the same way that the grass withers, and most all of us understand that.

It’s important to keep in mind that James is talking about believers. I don’t believe that the same principles apply to nonbelievers. Why on earth would a prosperous nonbeliever be humbled? James doesn’t say, ‘People who are poor have something to boast about’. He says, ‘Believers who are poor…”.

Believers who are poor have something to boast about, for God has honoured them.”

I had the privilege of knowing a man who was out of work for about two years. I tried to help him from time to time, but it wasn’t enough to be his personal Jesus. During those two years, one could not help notice how God brought him and his family through, how they grew in gratitude for each other, their trust in Christ and their thankfulness for many things we take for granted.

And those who are rich should boast that God has humbled them.”

Although I have never been accused of being rich, I have never seriously wanted for much either. This past Christmas season, there was an encounter that highlighted the truth found here in James. A friend of ours came over for a visit and we were having a great evening together. We talked about many things. After sharing dessert and a great conversation, the topic eventually turned to entertainment.

My oldest son told our friend saying, “Dad has so many video games.”

“Hey dad! Why don’t you take her upstairs and show her all of your games and systems?”

The kind of humiliation I experienced that evening isn’t the same as being caught in some grave offense, but I was humbled none the less. I was kind of embarrassed by my collection.

Likewise, I know a fellow believer who went to Bermuda a few years ago, but didn’t want many people knowing, out of a similar sense of humility.

I understand how this might sound weird to you. You may be thinking, “Why wouldn’t he want to show his friend his video collection?” According to the world, having a great video game library or taking a trip to Bermuda is something to post on Facebook or Twitter. As believers, our possessions and achievements aren’t things to be proud of or boast about. These are fading away, from our grasp as well as our memory.

Have you ever been humbled similarly? If you meet someone living on the street, would you be pleased as punch to show them your shiny new phone? If you’re proud of your possessions or accomplishments, I guess this doesn’t make much sense.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you were embarrassed. I hope I didn't add to it. You have video games and I have books. (I bet I beat you there.) I have about 30 books on my shelf that I haven't read yet. They should last me most of the year. I always say I won't buy more until I've read the ones I have....but then I see something new, or hear about something I really want (the library doesn't always have it), or it's really on sale, or I had to take advantage of my discount at the store.... It's a good thing I switched industries. I couldn't keep up with it all anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Besides, the games were gifts, right? Nobody ever gave me my books.

    ReplyDelete