Wednesday, January 11, 2012

I Don't Like My Ring

This Morning On Dave And Rachel

I woke up this morning to the sound of our alarm clock radio. One of the listeners in the area had sent in a relationship question which has stayed with me for the duration of the day.

A young man has recently asked his girlfriend to marry him. As wonderful news as it is, there’s a problem with the proposal. The lady in question really doesn’t like her ring; to the point where she doesn’t even really want to wear it in public.

That’s about all of the information we’re given on the radio broadcast. Callers were invited to lend their opinions, but I really don’t believe we know enough about the situation to really comment. I found myself asking this question, “What is the heart dynamic?” What is really happening here?

When the Best Isn’t Good Enough

What if this was the best this man had to offer? We don’t know for sure, but what if? Suppose that this man saved all he could, searched and searched and found something he thought would look great on the hand of his special girl. He might have been a little shortsighted for not having asked for her input, but what if he really gave it his best effort?

Have you ever found yourself trying to please someone who can’t be pleased? It’s a horrible life to live. It happens for both genders, but the particulars tend to look differently. You hear stories about wives who work all day, cook supper at night, help the kids with the homework, pack tomorrow’s lunches, keep the house in order and do the laundry, but it’s just never good enough. That isn’t the kind of life I wish on anyone.

This young man has certainly failed to meet her expectations. This won’t be a news flash for anyone who is married, but if they join hands, this will only be the beginning to many failed expectations. What are the odds that she will respond differently next time?

What if He’s Insensitive?

What if he just didn’t care? It happens. People can be insensitive. We often make decisions for other people, really not taking into consideration how it will affect them. Have you ever known a wife who said, “He just doesn’t listen to me!”?

Perhaps the ring was on sale, he really didn’t put much thought into it, but figured it’d do the trick. If that is demonstrative of this man’s way of approaching life, what promise would it hold for their future?

The Worst Case Scenario

What I fear the most, is that it could be some combination of the two. As couples, we often bring our baggage into marriage. What if he tends to be a thoughtless young man, whose best will never be good enough for her? Could this kind of tale possibly live happily ever after?

I might sound like I’m beating up on this young couple, but I’m not. I hope the best for them. I really do.

2 comments:

  1. Haha, loved this article. You see Kevin, girls have expectations. They dream about their future man, their ring, their wedding, their marriage, and sometimes, they're not exactly realistic. And then they get disappointed. Where's the line? When are your expectations too high or too low?

    On a personal note, this is an issue I think about too. I've seen a few girls' rings, and sort of felt bad for them. And others, well, they have a huge rock on their hand, and I don't want that either. I have expectations for a ring too. First, it better be silver. I would like something I can be happy about, but I would hate it if he went broke buying my ring. Save the money for later. I often prefer simple rings over ones with like 50 diamonds.

    Some guys propose, then take their girl ring shopping. I don't think I'd like that. I like to think that my man will have good taste, will know what I'll like and propose with the ring.

    I hope I'm not setting myself up for disappointment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete