Sunday, January 15, 2012

What's Up With Tim Tebow?

In itself, saying that you’re a Christian doesn’t actually mean very much. It’s become a title which people seem to carry, whether or not they actually have any affinity for Christ Himself. Many people who merely believe in “God” classify themselves as being Christians. Even within the realm of authentic faith, carrying the name itself gives us little indication as to the substance of the person. Personally, I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt. If they tell me that they are a Christian, then I call them a Christian.

Whenever I hear someone say that they are a believer, I wonder what kind of Christian they are. Some believers are deathly serious about sin, at least on the outside; making every attempt to find and uproot it from their lives. Other Christians are rather cavalier with regards to sin. Even if it is clearly printed on the page, they chalk it up as the page having been written for another time.

Some believers are serious about evangelism. Whether they follow in The Way of The Master (TM) or whether they try to reach people via relationships, they are actively and literally trying to advocate Christ. Many Christians have little compulsion to advocate Christ Himself. They might be comfortable advocating a cause such as poverty or world hunger. They might be vocal against certain ills, such as bullying, human trafficking, abortion or gay sex. They do not however literally try to tell people about Jesus.

For many Christians, Jesus is kind of like the boyfriend that you’re too embarrassed to introduce to your friends. It feels good to have a boyfriend, but He’s not much to look at. For others, Jesus is literally the light of their life.

I give you that introduction in order to set the stage. If you’re alive and well in North America, you might have heard of Tim Tebow. He is a Christian football player. For some reason, there is a kind of hype surrounding him that I haven’t sensed in any other sports figure in my lifetime. Lately, I’ve been asking my friends and coworkers this question: “What’s so special about Tebow?” I mean, he isn’t the world’s first Christian football player.

The Kind of Christian

I have received different responses, including his unorthodox style, his luck, the way he leads and the way he lives out his faith. I have no love of the game at all, so feel free to write me off. In my opinion however, Tim is set apart, not because of his faith or his skill. He stands out because of the kind of Christian he is.

Christians having a place in professional sports is nothing new. However, they are rarely the kind of Christian that Tim Tebow represents. Of the other Christians in professional sports come to mind, they are the sort that keep more to themselves. Of them, it tends to be said, ‘You can see it more in their lifestyle, or they way they conduct themselves.’ They often contribute to or advocate admirable causes. Some might even have Bible studies in their homes or do their best to witness one on one.

For varying reasons, he embodies a vein of Christianity which we see little of in this kind of arena. It’s not unusual for people who think like him to view professional competitive sports as being rather worldly. In fact, professional sports lend themselves easily to some forms of blatant idolatry, which tends to be frowned upon in conservative Christianity. The amount of training required to compete at this level tends to take the kind of time, devotion and focus that many who share his heart, would feel were better spent towards more spiritual matters.

Tebow challenges his own kind of people, showing them that one can be deathly serious about his calling, while at the same time, putting in the blood and sweat necessary to play with the best of the best, and perhaps someday to be counted as the best.

Climate Change

Had he lived in another time, he might not have attracted the same amount of press and attention he garners today. The culture of our time has changed drastically, even in the past 20 years. The message of the good news of Jesus is becoming increasingly offensive. We can tolerate many things, but we are becoming less and less tolerant of anyone who tells us that we sin. The substance of the man is therefore much more alarming to the general public than he would have been say 30 years ago.

When I was a kid, my school teacher told me that most of the Dallas Cowboys were Christians. Due to the climate in which we live, I’m kind of surprised that the Bronco’s even gave him the chance to begin with. They must not have a decent number two. Seriously. Most of you who read this profess to live out some form of faith in Christ. How many of us really appreciate being told we sin? How much less the world in general?

Personally

I don’t much care if he wins football games. I’m pretty sure that God loves people on the teams Tim plays against as much as He cares for him. Or maybe God only loves people who wear blue jerseys. Who knows? I do hope however that he is able to keep a clean witness for his Lord and that he will have a successful career. As tolerant as our culture claims to be, they love to watch people like Tim Tebow fall. If he ever does the kinds of things that our world says are acceptable, you can bet the bank his face will be plastered across every newspaper and internet news feed across the country. And we’re the hypocrites.

...And Tim - If you’re reading this my brother, better luck next year. (Not that either of us really believe in luck)

Kevin Abell

2 comments:

  1. I haven't kept up with this hype much. I'm not a football fan either. But I'm cool with what he's doing.

    I hate to admit this, but I was actually kind of upset last week when I read an article about Justin Bieber's new Jesus tattoo. He claims to be a Christian too. I knew I was judging, but I didn't want to believe it. And I know I can't do that.

    "For many Christians, Jesus is kind of like the boyfriend that you’re too embarrassed to introduce to your friends." Really liked the way you put this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you on Bieber's tattoo. I won't tell anyone that you were kind of upset.

    ReplyDelete