Monday, September 13, 2010

Chronic Liars

"...their tongues are filled with lies..." Romans 3:13

I picked on the lawyers and polititians a while back, but I feel like I owe them an apology. Lying is something that is just so engrained into our nature nad sadly, we've just come to accept it.

We accept it from the people who market their products to us when they make false claims about what they are selling. Wouldn't it be odd to see a truthful beer ad? Everyone is always so slim and so pretty. Isn't that the picture of reality?

In the workplace, deception takes on other forms. I receive resumes on an ongoing basis and whenever someone is looking for work, they write things on their resume such as, 'I'm a team player, self motivated, hard working individual.' This might sound mean, but its usually crap. For hobbies, they always list nice things. What would resumes look like if people were forthcoming about who they really were...

"I've hated most jobs I've ever worked at. I have problems respecting authority. My hobbies include getting drunk and smoking dope. Actually, I'm an alcoholic, so I'll either be missing the odd day of work, coming in late or working with a hangover. I really am not a team player. I mostly just look out for my own interests. I like to gossip about the people I work with and have a bad case of potty mouth"

Would you hire someone like that? I might. It's be refreshing to have someone who is that brutally honest about themselves.

We lie in our relationships. Dating often tends to be among the greatest forms of deception. When you're on your first dates, what normally happens? Are you completely forthcoming about who you really are? Seriously now. We try to put our best foot forward, dress up real nice and try to keep our real junk under wraps. How would your first date go if you came out and said things like these,

"I have anger management problems. I get really upset and start smashing stuff when I don't get my way. When life is tough, I normally turn to drugs so I spend most of my disposeable income on my habbitt. If you dump me, I'll probably stalk you like I did my last girlfriend."

I don't want to come off as a guy who is picking on other people. I mean, I haven't been above the deception myself. I remember when my girlfriend in high school was getting cold feet. We had been going out for a few weeks and she was wanting out. I really liked her so I did what I had to do. Are you ready for the lie?

'Don't worry baby. I love you. I'll never leave you.'

Alright. I didn't say 'baby'. I added that for effect. Hey don't hate me. All of the music that I listened to made similar claims. It works for Justin Bieber. I liked her. I thought she was 'the one'. What was I suppose to do? Just let her walk?

I had a few girlfriends in high school, so I don't want you to know who I'm talking about. I will however let you know that it wasn't my wife. I did leave this girl. If the truth were to be told, I had had no idea of what love really was. I thought love was that gushy, I want to sleep with you feeling. I'm sure she' over it by now, but does that make it acceptable?

No comments:

Post a Comment