Monday, September 20, 2010

We're All Going to Die!!!!

This past Sunday, our pastor began a series, ‘2012 – Is This The End?’

There is just something sensational when we start talking about the end of the world. It pricks our ears and compels many to buy books and movie tickets. One of my own friends keeps saying that she feels like Jesus is coming back very soon.

I must admit that every so often, I have the sense that the end is right around the corner. In fact, I didn’t think that I would make it here to 2010. But here I am.

Harold Camping is one guy who says that the Bible points to May 21, 2011 as being the day when Christ returns to pick up His people. There is also lot of media hype surrounding Dec. 21st, 2012 as being our final day as the Mayan calendar comes to close.

Here is my prediction and you can quote me if you like.

Kevin Abell says that the world will NOT end on May 21st 2011 or Dec. 21st 2012.

Feel free to print T-Shirts and bumper stickers if you like. The way that I understand end times prophecy, is that the end is supposed to come at a time when we feel rather secure.

1 Thessalonians 5:2-3
For you know quite well that the day of the Lord’s return will come unexpectedly, like a thief in the night. When people are saying, “Everything is peaceful and secure,” then disaster will fall on them as suddenly as a pregnant woman’s labor pains begin. And there will be no escape.

P lease read more of Paul’s letter to the Thessalonians, but I think he’s quite clear in saying that Christ’s return will come as a surprise. So if there are hordes or people expecting the world to come to a close on Dec or May 21, it wouldn’t be much of a surprise now would it?

We don't need to ask ourselves 'When will it end?'

The more important question is this - 'Are we ready now?'

3 comments:

  1. I personally don't think the ultimate end is that close. I believe that we are in the end times, but then again, didn't people in the New Testament already speak of being in the last days? I also think we need to be prepared, because we really don't know.

    At the same time, do you think people can be too preoccupied with the end times and Christ's return? Can people be so into it that they fail to live in the here and now? I'm not sure, but your thoughts would be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you Kevin: as long as people are giving explicit dates for the end of the world, it's a safe bet that it WON'T be on that day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Travis - I know that Christianity isn't about rules, but someone should make a rule saying that, 'anyone who tries to set a date doesn't get to claim to speak for Jesus'

    Margaret - I might try and address your questions soon. Until I do, (if I do) from the few words that you have shared, I think that your 'gut instinct' might be leading you in the right direction. In short - yes. If the end times and His return become all that we talk about, then we aren't proclaiming the full counsel of God. I think for some, that His return becomes the primary concern of their walk. Which to me is a form of idolatry.

    ReplyDelete