Monday, September 27, 2010

Soul-Winning Preaching Technique

Scholarship really does have its place within ‘Christendom’. It really does. I am very thankful for the people who know how to properly use words like eschatology and hermeneutics. I appreciate those who form and use definitive phrases such as progressive sanctification and democratic theocracy. I’m being very serious here. I’m thankful, because they help to categorize and clearly put into words many of the things that I understand to be true, but fail to be able to articulate.

As thankful as I am, I really don’t even pretend to aspire towards that end. Please don’t take my words and try to twist them as if I’m saying, ‘this is the attitude that all Christians should have’. If you do, I’ll have to make up some creative form of punishment. I don’t know what that would be, because I am commanded in Christ to love you.

All I’m trying to say is that, the more I ‘learn’ about Jesus, the more I come to terms with how little I really know. My last few posts have been about ‘having the right answers’ and I am here to intentionally say that following Jesus has very little to do with forming a proper theological system. I really relate to what Paul was saying when he wrote this in his first letter to the believers in Corinth;

For I decided that while I was with you I would forget everything except Jesus Christ, the one who was crucified.” 1 Corinthians 2:2

Paul could very well be described as being the greatest theologian of all time; except of course Jesus Himself. As well versed as he was and as well educated as he was, he doesn’t seem to strut his stuff. If Paul was being sincere in his words, what would we think of him in our time?

What kind of preachers impress you? Do you like the ones who get all loud and angry sounding? Some do. They like it when the guy behind the pulpit raises his voice and gets all red in the face and reminds everyone that they still sin too much, they don’t read the Bible or pray enough and they don’t serve or witness enough either. Do you like the kind of speakers who really put scripture into historical context? Do you like to learn a lot?

I really don’t think that many of us would be impressed if Paul were to take the pulpit on a Sunday morning. Think of it. He intentionally ‘forgot everything’; everything except Jesus who was crucified. What would that look like? I mean, we read his writings and look at his teaching as being the very inspired Word of God itself, yet he pretends to know nothing except Jesus.

I came to you in weakness – timid and trembling. And my messages and my preaching were very plain.” 1Corinthians 2:3-4

If this is true and if he is describing his stage presence accurately, he isn’t the sort of guy that would anchor a Promise Keepers convention or any Leadership Summit. His messages were very plain. Rather than owning the stage, he describes himself as being timid and trembling. He really wasn’t the type of man that we would link to on our Facebook pages. Do you like preachers who come across and being weak, timid and trembling?

Yeah, maybe I’m twisting things to paint a certain picture, but if you notice, I’m using the very same descriptive words that Paul used for himself. I don’t know about you, but there are very few prominent Christian orators whom I would describe in a similar manner.

For those of us who point to Christ, the power of our message doesn’t come from observing Rick Warren’s preaching tips, no matter how valuable they are. (And they really can help) If we are about the business of proclaiming Christ, the focus of our message isn’t on placing an effective hook and drag, using heart catching stories, or clever/persuasive speeches. The bigger issue is how willing we are to allow The Holy Spirit to speak through us.

Rather than using clever and persuasive speeches, I relied on the power of The Holy Spirit.” 1Corinthians 2:4

I won’t even pretend to know how that’s done. Most of the people I know who speak, seem to do so out of a sincere heart and a desire to have God say what He wants to say through them. For me, sometimes I get the sense that God doesn’t want me to hammer out every detail of a message. There are times where I am led to believe that He just wants me to meditate over and over through a passage, pick up my Bible, step up to the mic and walk through the scripture. Is that The Holy Spirit? Or is that a form of spiritual pride? I really don’t know.

“Hey Guys! Look how great I am. I can do this without using any notes!!! Am I not the epitome of Christian spirituality?”

Some people who try to speak without preparation just throw out a bunch of incongruent words. I don’t think that is all about Jesus.

Sometimes I amaze myself at how very little I know. So when you read my posts and if I come across as if I seem like I have it all figured out, please stop reading. It’s not that I have so many followers that I can afford to shed a few. It’s just that I can’t stand the thought of you thinking of me as something that I’m not.

I do know Jesus, the One who was crucified on my behalf. I’m trusting that it’s enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment