Saturday, September 4, 2010

Don't Read This Post. It's Junk

This past Thursday I had breakfast with a close friend of mine. We were supposed to be talking about his sermon, but ended up talking more about our lives. During part of the conversation, I think I left him with the impression that I intentionally listen to Nickelback in order to ‘understand the sinners of the world.’

This isn’t a letter for you my friend, although you’ll likely read it. The truth is, I don’t watch or listen to filth in order to learn what the sinners are up to. Unless our dear world has given up on her drugs, lies and sexual immorality, I think I have a decent handle on the kinds of things that are going on. The stories of our world aren’t new. In fact, they are tiresomely old.

I don’t have to watch every movie, buy season one of South Park or buy 50 Cent’s latest cd to know that this world really doesn’t intend to give glory to Jesus. I know that our culture likes vampires and sorcerers without joining their fan clubs. I don’t feel that I need to know the specifics about what kinds of drugs are going around in the wee hours of the night. Or should I make a point of going to a few all night parties, just so I see the full extent of the depravity around me? Do they still call them raves? Or maybe I’ll stay home and actually be a dad and a husband. Sound acceptable?

I’m not sure where I fit into “Christianity” in this regard. There are a lot of believers who would think that it’s wrong to listen to a group like Nickelback or some poser white rapper like Eminem. Ok. I don’t listen to Nickelback. (But I listen to Nickelback.)

Alright, now I’m a hypocrite. I said that I don’t listen to them, but I do. It doesn’t make much sense. I know.

I work at Them Mufflerman. Many of you are up on that. The radio plays all day at The Mufflerman and I have a confession to make. The guys at work really don’t listen to music that gives God His proper place. That’s putting it nicely. If I’m lucky, the guys might let me listen to country’s BX 93 on Friday and maybe “Jesus Take The Wheel”, “Drugs or Jesus”, or “Three Wooden Crosses” might come on. I know they fall short of a true Sunday morning worship, but it’s as close as I get while on the job.

Most of the time, our radio is tuned in to a rock station or other popular music station. If you are familiar with my setting, we usually listen to Bob, FM 96 or 103.1. Is it a sin to have heard music like that?

I don’t imbibe myself in popular culture, but I’d have to live in a bubble to be ignorant of Paris Hilton’s escapades, the Twilight series and Avatar. If I did watch more movies, would that make you repent more? I intake enough garbage already, but if it would make you stop sinning, I might consider watching and listening to more. By the way, Jesse James has a new girlfriend. I think this time, she's THE ONE. No really. Sometimes you can just tell.

As far as entertainment is concerned, I’m in a small pickle. My Playstation 2 isn’t playing DVD’s very well and I don’t know what I want to do about it. Do I buy another PS2, a DVD player or a PS3? That is a very big problem I know. It’s tough being a working class Christian isn’t it? Does the Wii play DVD’s? Does a PS3 play regular DVD’s or just blue ray? Or do I give up on entertainment altogether? How will I ever connect with the world? Somebody help!!

PS I told you not to read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment