Wednesday, November 24, 2010

I Just Don't Know

This afternoon, I read a blog post about youth groups. I have to admit, it has caused me to reflect on my life a great deal. The post asks the question, “Does youth group ruin teens?”

Shortly after having received Christ, my wife and I were led into what many people refer to as youth ministry. So I wonder, did our youth group ruin the lives of those who were a part of it? I don’t know for sure. The truth is, whenever I read articles from people who talk about what youth ministry or what the church should look like, I always walk away rather discouraged, because I really don’t know much about anything.

As much as I’ve tried, I don’t know the proper procedure for making disciples. I don’t even know how to disciple disciples. And even when I have it explained to me by someone who knows how to make a convert, it doesn’t stick. So whenever I reflect on my journey with Jesus, I tend to wonder what it was all for. I’m sure you make a disciple or two every week. Perhaps we should hang out.

My success as a would be youth pastor is questionable at best, so it’s not like you should take my words and use them as a basis for your own ministry, but here are the only things that I ever claimed to know about being used of God.

1. Love those whom God has entrusted into your care.
2. Share The Word with those who want to listen.
3. Pray for those whom God has entrusted into your care.

These are the things that I resolved to do. Whether or not these are acceptable, who knows for sure? I never regret my time with the young people of St. Paul's. In fact, I miss them dearly. Whether successful or not, I don't believe that love is ever a mistake. Being there when someone needs you might not make for a good program, but it has to be part of a faithful walk. Does it not?

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure exactly how to respond to this. I know all youth groups must be different. However, my experience has been great. The youth in our church meets together every Tuesday for Bible studies and other events, and we usually hang out together on Sundays. Our age range is from 14 to mid/late twenties and we enjoy spending time together for fellowship, encouragement, study, prayer, games and just having a good time together. I have been blessed, and I've also heard of others saying that we have something special. Yes, we have a wide range of ages and personalities, but I love the group of people that God has given me and all the times and memories we share together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best advice I can give is to lead by example.

    ReplyDelete