Sunday, November 28, 2010

Why I am Against Polygamy

As I start this entry, I remember back to a time that doesn’t seem too long ago. I think on when same sex marriage was being debated both in the courts and in the political sector. I really wish that I had saved some of the articles I was reading at the time. I remember opponents of same sex marriage claiming that if it were to be accepted, that it would open the door for other sexual practices that were then forbidden; practices such as polygamy for example. The responses that I recall hearing went something like this;

‘That’s crazy. This has nothing to do with bestiality or polygamy. How does this have anything to do with those issues? This won’t open the door for anything.’

Well, we still can’t have sex with Fido, but polygamy certainly has entered the arena of public debate, and I present to you that it likely won’t go away until it is decriminalized. To be honest, I have no idea of why a secularish government wouldn’t allow us to have intercourse with our livestock. In fact, if there is no God, is anything wrong with anything?

Polygamy is a little thornier for Christians than practicing sodomy or bestiality since many of the Old Testament men of faith had more than one wife. I can’t back it up, but it seems to me that polygamy wasn’t so much as a thing that God approved of, but rather something that He tolerated. In the days since Christ, having more than one wife excludes one from assuming the office of elder within the church. I won’t give you the references for that. Do your own legwork.

I have to be honest with you. It’s not that I have been openly accused of being a poor husband or a bad father. However, those are two roles in my life where I never feel like I quite give what is deserved. Last week I went for a date with my wife and we had a wonderful evening together. Whenever we get the chance to get away, we always remark at how we really should get away like that more often. Likewise, I really don’t find that I have sufficient time in this life for each of my children. In the summer, I make a point to have one date night with each of my kids individually and it’s difficult to find even the time for that.

All things being equal, if I were to have another wife and children, all of my available resources are immediately cut in half. If I manage to have even one night a month to get away with a wife, each wife will only have me once every two months. I’m sure the time can be divided equally, but even if it is, it’s half of what would be available to begin with.

For those of you who are husbands, do you really find that you have been there for your wife and children as much as you needed to be? Really now. Could you honestly tell me that you have been all that a father and all that a husband should be?

How about those of you who are wives? How many of you can honestly say the following?

‘My husband spends more time with me and the children than he should.’
‘I was so happy to find out that my husband has another woman to have sex with.’

My wife says that she hasn’t known anyone to have those kinds of complaints. In my own observations, it is FAR more common to hear things such as these,

“I wish he had more time for our family. “
“He spends so much time away at work.”

I know that my opinion doesn’t count for much, because my beliefs affect my opinions, but if the courts ever call me up and ask, I’ll link them to this post.



PS I asked my oldest son if he wants me to have another wife and other children. He said no.

2 comments:

  1. Great article Kevin, an issue that isn't really touched a whole lot. I appreciate your views here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I find interesting (disturbing) is how readily the media can find supporters to interview on the subject.

    ReplyDelete