Thursday, November 18, 2010

Morale on the Job

I have a confession that might rock your world. Are you ready? Here it is.

I’m not entirely Blue Collar.

******gasp******

You see, I’ve really been in management since I was 18. Growing up on our family tobacco farm, I was responsible for our employees while still in High School because my dad was driving truck full time. After university, I continued on as plant manager for our sawmill.

In my first couple of years at The Mufflerman, I shed my managerial responsibilities as I started out as an apprentice mechanic. That period was short lived when I soon assumed the position of assistant manager. I often feel as if I’m stuck between two worlds – being responsible enough to be entrusted with a certain amount of responsibility, but I maintain a fond affinity for manual labour.

In my time, I have worked with so many individuals who hate their job. If you ever find yourself in such a place, I have encouraging news. Chances are, your employer wants exactly the same thing that you want; for you to move on. They probably want you to work somewhere else, but don’t have sufficient legal grounds to give you the boot.

In my 20 years in the workforce, from management’s perspective, I can count on one hand the number of people who have left their job where it was actually a surprise. In fact, at the moment, I can only think of one.

Ecclesiastes 3:22
So I saw that there is nothing better for a person than to enjoy their work, because that is their lot.

I often ponder what causes a person to enjoy their work. I have watched people whine and complain in order to get a raise, only to find their morale dip even lower a few weeks after getting it. I’ve watched people bounce from job to job, being just as dissatisfied with each career. It makes you think that perhaps, the job wasn’t the problem after all.

There is such a thing as being misplaced in one’s career. However, I tend to believe that being able to enjoy one’s work has more to do with having a right heart before God, and that when we walk with Him, we can endure whatever task lies before us; even slavery. Yes. I said slavery. No. I’m not advocating slavery. I’m saying that even a slave can experience the fullness of Christ. I believe that people who work at Tim Horton’s can experience life to the full and even find enjoyment in what they do.

If you hate your job, have you ever considered the possibility that the problem isn’t so much with your boss, your pay or your duties?

Whatever you are doing, I hope that you are able to enjoy your daily tasks. If you don’t, I want you to consider two possibilities.

1 There is a better job out there for you. In which case, you need to go find it.
2 Or this is about as good as it gets for the moment. I which case, be thankful and put on a smile before they terminate you for being a drain on morale.

Remember. Think happy thoughts.

2 comments:

  1. Here's my question: What does Blue Collar mean anyway? (Don't laugh....Now you're probably laughing....Stop!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blue collar might also be refered to as 'working class'. Factory workers, mechanics, carpenters. Blue collar workers tend to be manual labourers as opposed to what is refered to as a white callar worker. White collar would be office workers, lawyers - people who can wear white to work because they don't get 'dirty' in their profession.

    ReplyDelete