Sunday, January 2, 2011

What do you know for sure?

I’ve been sitting here in front of my laptop for what seems like half an hour. It isn’t like you need to know that piece of information. I’m just stalling. I’m waiting for that perfect word to come to me; that word which will satisfy your hungry mind and prompt you to respond saying,

‘Thanks Kev! That’s exactly what I needed to hear.’
Or –
‘Well Said Kevin. Everyone needs to read this post’
Or-
“What insight. I’ve never thought of that.”
Or –
“What a creative way to express yourself!”

I suppose the reason why I have no idea of where to begin, is that there is just so much set before me.

I think of my past.

In particular, there is a big difference between the kind of Christian that I am today compared to the kind of person I was when I first believed. I prefer to think that the difference lies in a certain maturity that has come with time, but I can’t say for sure. Sometimes I dearly miss the infant stages of my walk with Christ. I miss the sheer innocence of those days. For some strange reason, I thought myself to be the answer man. I took pleasure in thinking that I could wade through any topic, find the answers and structure a lesson plan which clearly outlined the limits to what we could and could not do.

Now, in my current state, I am becoming more and more aware of how much I don’t know. In some ways, I miss being the answer man. In fact, in some ways I wonder if I know enough anymore to be able to speak or write intelligently on any matter at all.

I think of you.

I’ve been thinking of several of you. I think on some of your comments here in blog space and what it means to be a follower of Jesus Christ. I think of Lesley’s words and how Christ spent more time talking about being a neighbour than he did on being an evangelist. I think of Margaret and how she has brought certain people to mind. I think on Chuck’s words and the ways in which I have attempted to live out my faith in anonymity.

I think of friends. I think of the ways in which God has demonstrated His goodness towards the people in my life. Some He has blessed with good health. For others, He has chosen to bless them by being their strength in the midst of adversity. I think of the man who was told that his father only had hours to live. He’s alive. I think of several people who have had their struggles with cancer and other health problems. I think of some of the hardships that you have faced.

I think of the future.

What lies ahead for the next year? I’m often led to believe that The Christian Dream has been mingled with the American Dream. If we’re faithful in our calling, then the future should carry with it a successful book or a growing church. What does a ‘successful ministry’ look like to you in your setting? Would your church pay off the building fund? Would you find a commercial publisher? Would your blog traffic increase?

In my setting, I often ponder the possibility of entering into career ministry and wonder whether or not this is the year. I’ve wondered that for the past 10 years or more. For the moment, I remain at The Mufflerman and have found it conducive for accomplishing the tasks prepared for me by my Lord Jesus Christ. Being a tent maker isn’t so bad.

What I know for sure.

Of all of the things that I am unsure about, there is one that I continue to stand on.

2 Timothy 1:12
For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.

I know Who I believe in. I know that for sure. I have also been persuaded that He is able to keep me in His care. That is what grounds me both in days of joy and in days of great trial.

What is your anchor? What do you know for sure? Where do you turn when the floor falls out from under you?

No matter what this year has in store for you, whether good or bad, I hope your anchor holds. Some people choose an anchor which brings them to ruin. As for me, I choose Christ. He has held me in His care thus far. I assume He will continue to do so.

4 comments:

  1. Awhile ago I heard/read something somewhere along the lines of "The beginning of wisdom is to be able to say 'I don't know.'"

    I don't know what this year has in store for me, but I pray it will be good. I have ideas, but God alone knows how everything will play out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw that in one of your posts. There are many people who can't handle, "I don't know." Aren't there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You my friend, are in the Potter's Hands and there is no better place to be. I take your awareness of how much you DON'T know to be a sign of showing real humility and of getting to a place where God can use you in ways you never thought possible. I read a quote today by ‎DA Carson that is a little harsh but true. He says, "It is always a wretched bastardization of our goals when we want to win glory for ourselves instead of for him."
    Seems like you are right on track to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's often the case when, the more you know about a subject, the more you realize you don't know.

    ReplyDelete