Sunday, January 9, 2011

Stuck Where I Belong

I always enjoy finding the exceptions to the norm. In November, I wrote a post on work life where I spoke on how most of the time, when people hate their jobs, their employers aren’t all that pleased with them either. I had the amazing privilege of speaking with a man who clearly does NOT fit into that generalization.

His name is Ricky Bobby. Bobby’s parents grew up in Northern Ireland and moved to Canada. Ricky went to university and became a shoe salesman at one of North America’s largest shoe retailers. Just so you know. Ricky doesn’t like his job. He especially dislikes his job around Christmas time as the traffic in the store and the demands of his customers can take their toll, so much so in fact, that this past Christmas, one of his coworkers broke down in tears while on the job. No joke.

Ricky Bobby has often tried to find a way out. He has pondered the possibility of pursuing a teaching career, paid Christian ministry, or opening his own shoe store, but every door that he explores seems to be shut. What do you do when you find yourself in such a place? You’re ‘stuck’ in a job that doesn’t seem to have an outlet for ‘your’ abilities or talents. Do you lament your life? Do you chalk it up to the poor choices that you made earlier in life? Do you assume that a post secondary education would have afforded you a different life?

This past year, Ricky received a call from head office.

“Hello Ricky. This is Mr. Bigwig from headquarters.”

“Gee Mr. Big Wig. What would prompt you to call me on this fine morning?”

“Ricky, I’m calling you to tell you that you are among the ten most valued shoe salespeople in our company, nationwide. We’d like to ask you some questions about how you see yourself in the profession so that we can produce some training materials for the other slacker shoe salespeople in the company.”

Ricky’s performance isn’t based strictly on sales. His value has been appraised on many facets of his work; from customer satisfaction to his participation as part of the team. You might know a thousand Ricky Bobby’s – people who can’t stand their job, yet who manage to live out an exemplary work ethic. As for me, I only know one such individual. That would be Ricky.

Ricky is a very humble individual and he likely won’t tell you his story. He may not have told me, had he not have read my post. If you talk to Ricky, and if he tells you his story, he might share something like this, “Even though I don’t like my job, I know that it’s where God wants me for the moment. I have determined to press through and find contentment in that.”

1. Ephesians 6:5
Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ.
Ephesians 6:4-6 (in Context) Ephesians 6 (Whole Chapter)

2. Colossians 3:22
Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it, not only when their eye is on you and to curry their favor, but with sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord.


The word slavery leaves a very bad aftertaste when it comes from our mouth, as it should. In spite of this, Paul shares similar words for both the believers in Colosse and in Ephesus. Slaves are told to obey their masters. Do you suppose that slaves enjoy obeying their masters? Did they enjoy it in Paul’s time? How many of you like doing what you are told to do?

While few, if any, who read this have been literally purchased as a slave, our work lives aren’t always so different. Employees are slaves to their employers. Business owners are slaves to the realities of the market place. Sales professionals are slaves to their customers. Many of us at one time or another find ourselves thinking, ‘There should be more to life. I don’t find my work fulfilling. I don’t think that I can get out of this path that I’m on. If I found a career that fit my talents, THEN I would be content.’

Well, maybe you don’t. I do. I spend a great deal of my time looking for the open door to some different line of work. It’s not that I hate my work. Please Mr. Mufflerman – don’t get rid of me. If you want my opinion on the matter, (and if you are reading this, I suppose you value it, at least a little bit.) as believers, the questions we are meant to ask are not, ‘Do I like my job? Does this work make the best use of my gifts?’, but more like this –

“Is this where God wants me to be?”

As I said, that’s where I stand. Do what you want with the question. Discontent is not always an indication that God has something else in store for us, although at times, it is. Likewise, our contentment doesn’t always indicate that we are where He wants us, be it at work or in any other area of our lives.

This past week, God has blessed me and shown me that, at least for this moment, I am where He wants me. I had the pleasure of meeting up with an old schoolmate from East Elgin Secondary School, who also went to university with me. He mentioned how he had watched me on television, which helped me to discover that he had become a believer since high school. I was so encouraged to meet up with him and I hope that he was encouraged by his time with me. I know that not all such encounters indicate our standing before The Father, but from that brief meeting, I just have such a peace about my place for the time being.

At the end of the day, we need to do something in order to buy groceries, put a roof over our head, heat the place and pay for our cell phone contract. You caught me. The cell phone isn’t always a necessity. Neither is my NES. Whatever profession we have found which accomplishes those ends, I pray that we are able to live out our faith in a way which brings glory to God.

I’ll leave you with these comforting words….

God used to kill His people when they complained about the way He chose to provide for them. So suck it up princess.

7 comments:

  1. Good for you.

    One suggestion: don't look for an "open door" - go find one to kick down.

    Only a princess would wait for a door to open before she walked through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about at least knocking first?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol, nice timing on this one. I never thought I would say this, but last week I found myself thinking "I think I'm started to get bored. I like my job, but I'm not sure how much longer I can do this." Shh, don't tell my boss that.

    And another new thought came to me: if you're not content with what you're doing, is it okay to look for something else that you have more joy in? I know that contentment is something that a lot Christians emphasize (and the Bible speaks of it as well), but is it possible that sometimes we use contentment as an excuse to not step out and pursue something else? I'm wondering if there isn't a place where we need to ditch our efforts to be content if any of us ever want to get anywhere.

    Maybe this is a totally off comment to make, but it reminds me of all the girls out there striving to be content single, meanwhile it seems that a lot of men are equally content where they're at. Somebody has to break if this world is supposed to keep turning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Remind me to pursue the 'kicking the door in' thing someday. Please and thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is a phrase that is coming to mind which I've heard from a pastor friend of mine. He uses the phrase, 'holy discontent'. As you know - I'm not your God, so I can't possibly know the dynamics at work in your heart. However, I do know that the Lord detests slothfullness. Sometimes we can use our 'contentment' as a shield to allow ourselves to stay where we're at, when in fact it's time to pick up and move on.
    As an outside observer, I wonder if perhaps God might want you to move on at some point. Does he want you working at your current job when you're 40? Being young as you are, and a thinker like you are, I sometimes wonder if there is a place for you to seek further education.
    ....all that to say, don't use contentment as an excuse for doing nothing with the days that God seems to have laid before you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Allow me to answer by giving you part of my story:

    http://michaelkrahn.com/blog/2010/02/04/va-cation-and-vo-cation-5-lies-i-used-to-believe-the-medialle-house-journals-7/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm assuming Kevin, that in your last comment you were speaking to me. I've often considered seeking further education. The problem is I can't decide what it is I really want to do. Some other things that play into that are the need for a career that fits my desire to one day be a homemaker. I also don't want to get into debt to further my education. Overall, I have decided that I'm not going to spend time and money into something unless I really know that's what I want to do.

    However, I haven't completely written off education. One of the things I have long considered is Ellerslie. They offer a 10-week training program I would be interested in. Right now, I have hopes of going to a weekend conference there in the spring to see if I want to invest the time and money into it and if it would be suitable for me.

    Otherwise, I want to make the most of the extra time I have now. There is much I want to do and I want to take opportunities as they come. But you're not the first person to lately nudge me in this new direction.

    Michael, I read your article. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete