Wednesday, January 12, 2011

What I Really Think of Non-Christians...

I don’t pretend to know a whole lot about evangelism. Having gone to public school, you would think that I would be more engaging. Wouldn’t you? There are however some things that I do know, and one such truth was brought to mind this evening in my reading.

“…if someone asks you about your Christian hope, always be ready to explain it. But do this in a gentle and respectful way.” 1Peter 3:15-16 (NLT)

I have never been one to say that all believers have to be on the streets witnessing for Jesus. Some do. I am adamant however that each of us needs to be honest about our relationship with Him. If we have received in full measure the very promises of God, unless we live life as a hermit, there will be times in life where people will ask about what we think and what we believe.

If you aren’t a believer and you are reading this, I want you to know that I would like very much to be able to call you my brother or sister in Christ. If there was a formula to follow, I wish I knew what it was. In all honesty, if there was a way to manipulate or trick you into believing in Jesus, I’d probably try it, although it doesn’t quite work that way. I hope you can forgive me this sin.

It isn’t that I want to ruin your fun. Moreover, I really believe that I have received eternal life through what Jesus has done for me on the cross. That is my hope. Label me a quack if it makes you feel better, but I believe it through and through and I would like the same for you. If that’s offensive, then think of the alternative. You wouldn’t much like it if I wanted you to suffer and die now would you?

Personally, I believe that the best witness for Christ is a faith that is lived openly and honestly before the lives that it touches. Maintaining a decent witness has to do with actually living the life to which we have been called . Few things, if any, ruin our witness as much as when we fall into blatant sin.

I have a friend who posts a lot of verses on his Facebook page. Does that count? I know someone else who likes to post links to John MacArthur. Does that count? How about writing a blog? Does that count? What about my friend who will sometimes give a person on the street some food along with a gospel tract? Does that count? What about offering to pray for a coworker, whether they believe or not? What about inviting someone to church?

I hope that there is at least one non-Christian reading this so that you can either correct or validate what I’m saying. Non-believers aren’t necessarily looking for us to have a chili cook-off, community barbeque, a movie night, or a pizza party. They would however like it if you would care enough to ask about their life, rejoice at their successes and walk with them through life’s valleys. Perhaps, if we can accomplish at least these simple tasks, we’ll be given the opportunity to share the hope that we have found in Jesus.

PS - Forwarding a link to Blue Collar Christianity is always an effective outreach tool. Works every time. ;-)

1 comment:

  1. I travelled last night to a meeting with our Minister and we had a discussion around this subject, mostly to the point of - if a congregation "closes its doors" to only itself, a noone else knows what they are doing, how can they expect anything but decline?

    And we discussed that things like putting ads in the newspaper or flashing billboards aren't the answer either.

    ReplyDelete